D&D 5E A Couple Concentration Options

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So, a couple house-rule options for concentration.

1. A new Metamagic which allows you to ignore the concentration requirement on one spell you have currently working. I think 1 SP + 1 SP per spell level maybe as the cost?

2. Slot Empowerment: When you cast a second spell requiring concentration, you can choose to expend another spell slot to ignore the concentration requirement on the second spell. The additional spell slot must be of a spell-level equal to the spell levels of the concentration spells.

3. FEAT: Focused Caster. When you are concentrating on a spell and cast another spell that requires concentration, you can make a DC 10 Concentration check to maintain concentration on both spells. If you are hit, you must make a concentration check for each spell. If you fail either check, both spells are lost. You cannot concentrate on more than two spells. A third concentration spell will dismiss both your current spells.

With any option, if you loose concentration, all concentration spells end.

For example: Fly + Invisibility.

1. You cast Fly (3rd level) and use metamagic to enable you to cast Invisibility (2nd level) as well, costing you 3 SP. If you lose concentration, both spells end.

2. You cast Fly (3rd level) and next round cast Invisibility (2nd level), expending a 5th-level spell slot to ignore concentration on Invisibility.

3. You cast Fly. While concentrating on Fly, you cast Invisibility. You must make a DC 10 Concentration check or lose Fly when Invisibility begins. You take damage and must make a Concentration check for each spell. If you fail either check, you lost both spells.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
So like you I tried various house rules to slip in more concentration and found them all more trouble than were worth.

So finally I just went for it with this rule:

“5th level spellcasters can maintain concentration on two spells at once. They make a single concentration roll, and on a failure, both spells are lost”

And you what…I haven’t had a single problem. My players love the flexibility and it opens up new spells for viability, but the double spell loss keeps them from doing it Willy Nilly. I was nervous to do it but it’s been a great change, I probably won’t ever go bsck

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Right now we have a feat which allows concentrating on two spells at once, but when you cast the second spell you have to make a concentration check immediately or lose both.

Yeah, I was just throwing this out there into the cosmic house-rule cloud.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think that if you are going to expend another slot of the same level, the concentration on that spell should just be waived. The cost is way too stiff to lose say 5th level spell slots to conjure an elemental and the 2nd level invisibility slot to a failed concentration roll.

To prevent the system from being gamed and casting invisibility second in that example, you could make the rule that you expend an extra slot of the highest spell level among those two concentration spells. You would then cease needing to concentrate on the spell you just cast.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I just removed Concentration as a rule. Instead the spells are ''Maintained'', and you must make the Con save when taking damage, but you dont have a limit number on maintained spells.

Obvs, my players arent powergamers and wouldnt be able to game the system even if their life depended on it, so its not much of a boost.

Shiroiken

Legend
While it can be a bit obnoxious, I feel the Concentration mechanic is fine as is. A feat to allow a second spell probably works, being about on par with Great Weapon Master, Resilient, Lucky, etc. Still probably not quite as good as Sharpshooter, but I consider that the only OP feat in the game.

G

Guest 7034872

I like the metamagic option a lot. It gives sorcerers something that can really distinguish them from other casters (they're a bit milquetoast in our campaigns, and I really didn't expect that), but it also allows clever Wizards and Warlocks to gain it, too, since they can always pick up the Metamagic Adept feat if they want this thing so much.

Having done exactly zero actual, meaningful experimentation with either of these options yet, that's my vote.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The last thing I want is the return of the flying, invisible wizard, so I tend to be pretty parsimonius in granting secondary concentrations.

I generally do it via magic items, like I gave a cleric a magic holy symbol that let them concentrate on bless for free. Or via specific subclass features, like when I had a conjuration focused wizard, I gave them a subclass feature that let them concentrate on wall spells for free.

When I do that, I follow the general rule where the character has to make one Concentration save, or lose both spells being concentrated on.

I like the metamagic idea the best, as sorcerers can always use a buff. I'd probably make the cost 1 SP per spell level for ease of use, but that's me.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I like the metamagic idea the best, as sorcerers can always use a buff. I'd probably make the cost 1 SP per spell level for ease of use, but that's me.
Using Tasha's Metamagic Adept feat would be a way for other casters to gain access to it, but very limited, if it was made into a metamagic.

With the MA feat, and only two Sorcerer points, the spells you could also apply it to would be very limited for other casters, but Sorcerers wouldn't have that limitation.

Remove ads