D&D 5E A Couple Houserules for Warlock and Fighter

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I agree this could use another clarififaction pass. Perhaps something like this:

• When you take the attack action, you can spend a heroic action to make an additional attack. You can spend a maximum number of heroic actions equal to 1 + the number of attacks granted by the Extra Attack Ability.
It doesn’t have to be part of the attack action, and the cap would be clearer as “the number of attacks you can make with a normal attack action”, but otherwise yeah.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
This look good, I tend to to be even more gererous with my fighters:
  • Action Surge is an extra turn, not only 1 action (PB per LR for the next time I DM)
  • AoO use the full attack action instead of 1 attack (rogues can use sneak attack, paladin can smite, barbs still gain their rage bonus, casters can use a scaling cantrip for the mere cost of 1 feat, so that's not too much).
  • The fighter gets to use the Mark action from the DMG.
  • Idomitable is replaced by an auto sucess PB per LR.
  • I'm still hesitating to just bolt the banneret features unto the main chassis of the fighter at higher level.

Pact of the blade is a pretty good houserule. Well done.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I like the pact of the blade houserule. It works wonders to make Warlocks both more streamlined and more gishable. I'd probably use it on a Hexblade and normally I go pact of the tome on my Hexblades.

Question about the Heroic Actions: You say they get more as they level up. How many more and on what scaling?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I like the pact of the blade houserule. It works wonders to make Warlocks both more streamlined and more gishable. I'd probably use it on a Hexblade and normally I go pact of the tome on my Hexblades.
I’m glad! I’ll polish the wording when I get a chance and post the finished version. Any Invocation ideas? Maybe one that lets you change weapon form 1/turn as part of attack, and gain prof with medium armor, or maybe more HP per level?
Question about the Heroic Actions: You say they get more as they level up. How many more and on what scaling?
Proficiency bonus + number of attacks per attack action per long rest.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Invocations for the new pact blade... hmmm...

1) Let them turn their Rod into a Pact-Keeper, giving them a +1 to spell attacks and save DCs if they cast with their rod in hand.
2) How about letting them use their rod to grapple someone with a corruscating whip of Eldritch Power at a range of 15-20ft?
3) Rather than medium armor proficiency (And magic armor) let them get an upgraded "Eldritch Armor" form of mage armor. Instead of 13+Dex make it 10+Cha+Dex
4) Dual-Wielding invocation. If you've got a light melee weapon in your off-hand you can bonus action attack after using Eldritch Blast.

Remove ads