• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A couple of questions regarding two psionic powers

xen_xheng

First Post
I suppose it depends on your DM; many feel that these kind of requirements must be met without any kinds of enhancements. I would rule yes in this case, although for a more roleplaying solution I would see if the character usually fights with claws using any kind of power he has (it doesn't has to go as far as to try to make it permanent).

nonamazing

Explorer
As far as I can see, you should be able to do this. Here's my reasoning: If some one takes, for instance, Weapon Focus or Exotic Weapon Proficiency, then they are traning in a specialized fashion with a weapon that they use. They don't carry their spiked chain 24/7, and they don't have a short sword grafted to their hand. It's a weapon that they pick up and use frequently--they are accustomed to its use.

That's what it's like for this character. He uses claws frequently--he's accustomed to their use. It's a weapon that also happens to be a natural weapon, so I would say that the character 'has' a natural weapon, in the same way that we might say the swordwielder has an artificial weapon. It's something that he 'owns'. He doesn't have to go out with his claws extended all the time (after all, a cat would be a legal subject for the feat, and cats can retract their claws).

Let's look at it another way. Could a spellcaster take a weapon focus feat and apply it to a weapon that only exists as a condition of a spell? (Like Mordenkainen's Sword, for instance). If so, then it would seem to make sense that your character could take this feat.

That having been said, I would require your character to at least take Weapon Focus before having access to Improved Natural Attack. But that's just my personal opinion.

helium3

First Post
I wouldn't allow it simply for accounting reasons. From my experience, players have a hard enough time keeping track of what their characters can do when the character build is static. I can't imagine what would happen if they started having conditional abilities like that.

FireLance

Legend
nonamazing said:
Let's look at it another way. Could a spellcaster take a weapon focus feat and apply it to a weapon that only exists as a condition of a spell? (Like Mordenkainen's Sword, for instance). If so, then it would seem to make sense that your character could take this feat.
Complete Arcane allows a spellcaster to take Weapon Focus (ranged spell) and Weapon Focus (touch spell). So, not Mordenkainen's sword, but Weapon Focus (ranged spell) would work for ray of enfeeblement and Melf's acid arrow and Weapon Focus (touch spell) would work for shocking grasp and touch of idiocy.

Note also that the Eberron Campaign Setting allows shifters to take Improved Natural Attack even though they only gain natural weapons when they shift (and not all shifters gain natural weapons when they shift), and the amount of time they can spend shifted can be as low as once per day for 1 round, in the case of a low-Constitution shifter who has taken no shifter feats. Thus, the argument that the character only has claws for a short period of time per day, or that the claws result from a psionic effect do not seem to apply.

xen_xheng

First Post
helium3 said:
I wouldn't allow it simply for accounting reasons. From my experience, players have a hard enough time keeping track of what their characters can do when the character build is static. I can't imagine what would happen if they started having conditional abilities like that.

You're late then; there are lots of things quite dynamic out there. The WarShaper prestige, for example, has a lot of abilities (if not all) that only work when he is in a form other than his own. A Druid has to keep track of his (different) animal shape statistics for battle; Polymorphing characters have different physical scores, different hitpoints, add extraordinary attacks and son on...

xen_xheng

First Post
FireLance said:
Note also that the Eberron Campaign Setting allows shifters to take Improved Natural Attack even though they only gain natural weapons when they shift (and not all shifters gain natural weapons when they shift), and the amount of time they can spend shifted can be as low as once per day for 1 round, in the case of a low-Constitution shifter who has taken no shifter feats. Thus, the argument that the character only has claws for a short period of time per day, or that the claws result from a psionic effect do not seem to apply.

Good note; I'll try to bring it out when I play with my PsyWarrior.

Does anyone know how to improve claws at epic levels?

FireLance said:
Note also that the Eberron Campaign Setting allows shifters to take Improved Natural Attack even though they only gain natural weapons when they shift (and not all shifters gain natural weapons when they shift),

Wouldn't that be evidence to the contrary, however?

After all, if they need to specifically call out that "Shifters have natural weapons only occasionally, and this qualifies them for INA," doesn't that mean that the general case is "Things that have natural weapons only occasionally do not normally qualify them for INA"?

FireLance

Legend
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Wouldn't that be evidence to the contrary, however?

After all, if they need to specifically call out that "Shifters have natural weapons only occasionally, and this qualifies them for INA," doesn't that mean that the general case is "Things that have natural weapons only occasionally do not normally qualify them for INA"?
It's a matter of interpretation, I guess. I don't have the book with me now, but I seem to recall that it was listed under the special section of the feat description, and the main point was not to qualify shifters for Improved Natural Attack, but to state that a shifter could take Improved Natural Attack as a shifter feat, meaning that in addition to the normal benefits, it also increases the duration of his shifting, and possibly gives him extra shifts per day. I'll need to check the exact wording.

likuidice

First Post
Don't druids qualify for the feat? they can polymorph themselves for a limited duration, and overlap the durations for a 24-7 effect. Could the psy warrior not also do the same thing, and have their claws durations overlapping, so that the effect is 24-7.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
What would you do if someone gets Polymorphed into a new form permanently by Polymorph Any Object and wants to take INA or another feat for their new form? Can they do it?
It depends on a few things, such as when in the previous level they get polymorphed and the DM's rules on levelling up. None of which is clearly defined in the DMG as has already been stated several times. There's a reasonable likelihood that the 'someone' becomes an NPC and the question becomes moot.

Rystil Arden said:
Is the gain and loss of a Belt of Strength fundamentally different from a Fighter who spent most of his level with permanent Strength drain from a Shadow and then had a Greater Restoration restore his Strength above 13 just before he levels?
Sure. Now, tell me why this question is pertinent.

Remove ads