A Dark Fantasy Idea

rbingham2000

Explorer
So I was on RPGNet, and the Manapunk topic has been brought up again by someone who wanted to either create or borrow a setting that lends cyberpunk's "attitude" to fantasy. A few tidbits were bandied about, including a link to a kickass collaborative worldbuilding thread on much the same lines.

That got me thinking of an idea for a dark fantasy setting of my own, where magic is a power that could drive you insane. At first, I went with the concept of an alien power beyond the ability of the human mind to comprehend, a la Call of Cthulhu. But then I came across this article which offered different rules for Humanity Loss in Cyberpunk, and it occurred to me that the concepts of Alienation, Egotism, Obsession and Paranoia outlined in the article would work quite nicely in illustrating how magic in the setting drove its users insane.

For example, if you like to use attack magic or physical enhancement magic, then you're likely to become -- if you aren't one already -- an ego-tripping jerk who doesn't feel he has to listen to anyone because he thinks he's so much better than the people around him.

Or if you like to use divination magic or magic that enhances your senses, then that's a pretty good indicator that you don't trust the senses you've already got, that you don't trust other people, and that you're most likely paranoid.

Which certainly explains a lot as to why the users of magic in your Conan-esque sword-and-sorcery fiction end up as power-mad megalomaniacs, don't you think?

Last edited:

Calico_Jack73

First Post
So what is the payoff? Why would anyone want to play a Wizard in a setting like that when it is a known fact that you are going to go nuts? In Cyberpunk the payoff is with cybernetics that make you better than everyone else but in D&D the classes are more or less balanced through hit points, saving throws, BAB progression, Special Abilities, and Feats. A by the book Wizard just isn't potent enough to make it worth the hassle compared to the other classes.

rbingham2000

Explorer
Calico_Jack73 said:
So what is the payoff? Why would anyone want to play a Wizard in a setting like that when it is a known fact that you are going to go nuts? In Cyberpunk the payoff is with cybernetics that make you better than everyone else but in D&D the classes are more or less balanced through hit points, saving throws, BAB progression, Special Abilities, and Feats. A by the book Wizard just isn't potent enough to make it worth the hassle compared to the other classes.
Who says I was designing this for D&D? Anyone can use magic in this setting.

The reason people use magic in my world is much the same reason people in Cyberpunk like to cyber-up -- they want the extra edge that sorcery gives them. And when you're facing undead horrors, demons, mad mages and more, you need every edge that you can get.

And when you think about it, it kinda sucks because the very "edge" that's keeping you alive in the face of all this nastiness could very well turn you into one of the very things that you're supposed to be fighting.

It's called "dark fantasy" for a reason.

Last edited:

sellars

Explorer
I like that! Magic for everyone, but at a terrible cost.

The mad villain hasn't got anything to loose, since he lost his humanity a long time ago, while the characters are struggling not only to overcome this villain, but also to overcome themselves.

I love these kinds of twisted stories :]

Calico_Jack73

First Post
rbingham2000 said:
Who says I was designing this for D&D? Anyone can use magic in this setting.

Because this site deals primarily with D&D and D&D is the default d20 fantasy game I had to assume you were talking about D&D since you didn't specify in your first post. D&D isn't a setting... Eberron, Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk are all settings. D&D is a set of rules for Fantasy Roleplaying.

Anyway, are there going to be any true blue Wizards in your setting? If so, are they going to be any different than traditional Wizards? Why would someone want to be a Wizard if anyone can sling magic around? These are topics I was curious about.

I'm using the d20 Call of Cthulhu rules for magic in my game, so it does pretty much the same thing. And yes, I've modified most of the other classes, so there's no other spellcasting classes available. Other rules that do what you want (more or less) and are already in print; the Conan RPG by Mongoose and Midnight by FFG too. My setting is also on the 'net at http://jdyal.cheapwindows.us.

Ron

Explorer
I recommend you to give a look at Wizards' The Wheel of Time roleplaying game. Following the concept introduced in the novels, any male character that deals with the One Power, a.k.a. magic, will eventually became insane. There are rules covering it as well as feats that take care in consideration or even makes the male character more resistant to the madness. It's a good game, although I disagree of some design choices.

Ron said:
I recommend you to give a look at Wizards' The Wheel of Time roleplaying game. Following the concept introduced in the novels, any male character that deals with the One Power, a.k.a. magic, will eventually became insane. There are rules covering it as well as feats that take care in consideration or even makes the male character more resistant to the madness. It's a good game, although I disagree of some design choices.
That's true, I've even adapted that feat to my setting. Good call, I forgot that one.

Remove ads