D&D 4E A different leader type. The seer (new class) and balancing a proactive heal.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Normal pre-emptive healing is temp HPs, but that has a balance point of not stacking. Perhaps something like instead of seeing a specific action, they instead give an idea of how the combat will progress, allowing one to avoid damage - but the immediate future gets muddled quickly with so many descisions being made, so it's a limited amount - i.e. the tHP. Perhaps with a special rider that allows them to avoid conditions from damaging attacks (but not other sources) as long as the tHP exist (and are not overwritten by new tHP).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Normal pre-emptive healing is temp HPs, but that has a balance point of not stacking. Perhaps something like instead of seeing a specific action, they instead give an idea of how the combat will progress, allowing one to avoid damage - but the immediate future gets muddled quickly with so many descisions being made, so it's a limited amount - i.e. the tHP. Perhaps with a special rider that allows them to avoid conditions from damaging attacks (but not other sources) as long as the tHP exist (and are not overwritten by new tHP).
The powerful Warning encounter power only really needs to allow knowing how many points the attack would be to feel exactly right for the seer though ... not technically a pre-emptive healing as you note but actually pretty much on target now the question could be how balanced is it to take this and make it usable the same number of times as healing word?

1578094488541.png

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think I may make Word of Warning a warlord alternative class feature which can replace the Inspiring Word. The character may also take no damage on a miss ;p to step it up a notch.

Then make Prophetic Word a feat that allows one to know the damage before using a Word of Warning or Powerful Warning and Warning Shout, perhaps some other benefits like a stacking initiative bonus.

The blind seer as an option derived off of the invoker is good too... because the concept of shared visions and the like work so well with it.

Perhaps some hybrid glue feats between Warlord and the Invoker, could encourage things a bit more.

Remove ads