A Farewell to 3E (parts 1-3) - REVISED with Part 3!

MerricB said:
I think it varies. Mostly MS Word for PC sheets, I think. The primary use of the laptops is to roll lots of dice, though... something extremely necessary at high levels.

I'll discuss it more in the next big post (which will be later, sorry guys!), but often Nate and the others would pre-roll their turn. So, come his turn Nate would just say "My father takes 153 damage!"

Four combats in 4 hours, btw, with a little time spent roleplaying and otherwise chatting.

Cheers!

The pre-rolling would make combats a lot quicker. Of course, you have to trust your players not to cheat. I imagine it would be quite easy to do so if they really wanted to.

Personally I think if I had a laptop at the table I would still roll my dice. I think that's half the fun! :)

Olaf the Stout

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'll get back to this tomorrow, but until then here's a nice picture of me at the table:

attachment.php

Cheers!

Attachments

• Ulek-24.jpg
    Ulek-24.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 402

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
MerricB said:
I think it varies. Mostly MS Word for PC sheets, I think. The primary use of the laptops is to roll lots of dice, though... something extremely necessary at high levels.
Yes, the huge number of dice can really slow things down. IME, the spreadsheets were also useful to deal with buffs, anti and dispel magic, and multiple protection and resistance spells running...

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Moon-Lancer said:
Wow, That guy on the right, Adam is it? He looks almost like me. For a moment I thought I was living a double life.

Sorry to inform you, clone, but it is Adam leading a double life. Unfortunately, now that you have discovered the secret . . .

;)

buzz

Adventurer
MerricB said:
Four combats in 4 hours, btw, with a little time spent roleplaying and otherwise chatting.
I can't even remember a session where our group was that efficient. My Monday game usually averages one fight per four hours. Damn high-level D&D! :)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
MerricB said:
You may note that the Firestorm damage is 60+3d6 rather than 16d6... I used a trick that had been used in the Delve in 2007 of simplifying the damage. As I wasn't going to be using a computer, this would save a lot of time. I'm fast at adding up numbers, but 16d6 tests even me.
Pardon if I'm mistaken, but 60+3d6 averages 70.5 and 16d6 averages 56 damage... what 'trick' from the Delve are you using, why is there such a discrepancy, and why are you dealing 14.5 more points of damage to your party?

Wouldn't you rather have 45+3d6?

Remove ads