A few probably basic D20 Modern questions

Matchstick

Adventurer
I'm new to d20 Modern, but I have an idea for an adventure for my friends and I'm trying to set it up. Pregenned characters to start with, though I'm hoping this may work out to be an irregularly episodic campaign.

Are there any Golem type templates? Or Golems at all in D20 Modern for that matter?

Can templates/monsters be moved freely between D&D and D20 Modern?

How about weapons? Can I use the list of D&D weapons to give myself more options for archaic weapons? Do I have to change the weapons in any way?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Weapons are pretty much the same, though d20Modern uses the 3.0 Handedness/Size rules ... but that's pretty minor. Beyond that, they're the same weapons.

Golems, likewise, can be directly ported from D&D ... the big change when taking creatures from D&D to D20Modern is remembering the Massive Damage Threshold ... but Golems have no Con and thus no MDT, so nothing to convert. There are some golems in the d20Modern book, if you'll check the back there, and I think they offer some d20Modern-specific ones in that book and Urban Arcana ... Gear Golems, Chemical Golems, Toxyderms, etc.

I don't think golems are usually a template.

--fje

takyris

First Post
Matchstick said:
I'm new to d20 Modern, but I have an idea for an adventure for my friends and I'm trying to set it up. Pregenned characters to start with, though I'm hoping this may work out to be an irregularly episodic campaign.

Cool deal!

Are there any Golem type templates? Or Golems at all in D20 Modern for that matter?

There are constructs, and you can easily use any of the golems from the D&D monster manual or the SRD, available online at:

http://www.d20srd.org/

The core d20 Modern book doesn't have golem templates, and I'm not sure that anyone has made a golem template specifically for d20 Modern, but I know somebody made one for D&D in general, that allowed you to take most corporeal monsters and turn them into mechanical golem-esque versions of that monster. It's not free in the SRD, though, as far as I know.

Can templates/monsters be moved freely between D&D and D20 Modern?

The answer to that is "Yes and No". You can, because the rules support it, but it can sometimes result in unbalanced creatures in the d20 Modern game. For example, those golems that I mentioned? You can move them right over, but they will pretty easily mow through a d20 Modern party, because any one of their hits can trigger a Massive Damage save, and the d20 Modern party might not have admantine weapons to cut through their DR.

It really depends on your campaign. Using the Stone Golem idea, here's what I'd do if I were moving it into a d20 Modern game:

1) Grim Game, where the party doesn't have magical resources: Make the Stone Golem the big boss for a group of 4 11th level characters. They might be able to take it, or they might die, but it's the big end fight, and the party should be at full resources when they fight it. Bump up its CR. The party should have ways to get away from the golem -- high areas the golem can't get to, obstacles that the golem must go around slowly (allowing the PCs to keep away from it and used ranged attacks), and so on.

2) Buffy Game: Give the party an incantation, spell, or limited-use item that lets them cut through the DR (or at least lets one or two PCs do so). Also, give the golem a new weakness from the "Weaknesses" section -- maybe the golem uses echolocation for pathfinding, and if the PCs do their research and then fire up a boom-box with a bunch of bass, the golem has a chance of losing its action each round, or the PCs all get half concealment, or something like that.

3) Urban Arcana Game: Make sure that the PCs have enough equipment for their level -- possibilities of magic swords, limited-use magic, that kind of thing.

It all depends on what kind of game you're running.

How about weapons? Can I use the list of D&D weapons to give myself more options for archaic weapons? Do I have to change the weapons in any way?

Urban Arcana adds most D&D 3.5 weapons, and this is a good way to go. I'd suggest that if you're using some D&D weapons, use all D&D weapons, overriding d20 Modern stuff. Don't let a katana be a one-handed exotic greatsword, for example. Don't let the collapsible baton be a simple weapon as good as a shortsword. Those are just my preferences, though. Mileage may vary. Again, it depends on the game you want to run. If it's a mostly modern game, you might do well to make people stick with mostly modern weapons. If it's a Buffy type game, you'd be great using mostly D&D weapons, plus firearms.

Good luck!

Matchstick

Adventurer
Hmmm, how about some more details.

- Right now the plan for the first adventure is to start at 6th level with the characters. Initially I'm planning this like a con game, and I may actually try to run it at GenCon next year.

- I'm going for a Bureau 13 setting, which means Dark*Matter/Urban Arcana type setting, but the characters will be tricked out with very high technology, though magic will be more scarce. So high powered stuff.

- The first battle will be against a group of awakened Ken dolls. Golem was what I was thinking of that would approximate that. Any other thoughts? If they aren't vulnerable to Massive Damage I would do a smaller squad of them I guess, though the encounter isn't going to spring the whole group on them at once. The DR would probably have to get ruled out, or changed somehow.

So if I look in my D&D 3.0 book I can take the damage from any of those weapons and transfer it right to D20?

Thanks!

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Awakened Ken dolls!? Brilliant and evil!

Animated Objects are probably the rules you want. Though I'm oddly fond of the candy golem from the free d20 adventure Blood Sugar.

Most of those adventures have custom monsters tucked into them, often very supernatural in nature; the ones that don't (almost) universally provide examples of integrating D&D monsters into Modern games with style and fun.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Well, human sized awakened Ken dolls. That's why I was thinking Golems. Does that change your ideas at all? The players may or may not figure out what they are. Hopefully not right away at least.

:)

The Candy Golem is genius, and may get plugged in to the last scene of the adventure! If you like the awakened Ken dolls, you'd love what I've got in mind for that! If you're curious let me know and I'll PM you with the details of what I have.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Matchstick said:
Well, human sized awakened Ken dolls. That's why I was thinking Golems. Does that change your ideas at all? The players may or may not figure out what they are. Hopefully not right away at least.
Ah.
Hmmm....
Have you seen the rules for humanoid robots? I'd just take away the crit vulnerability, tack on appropriate hit dice and have fun.

If I was feeling lazy then I'd probably just use the Animated Objects rules with the caveat that they are as intelligent as I want them to be.

Alternatively you could write up the stats for a Plastic Golem. Which is just a mean idea. I'd start with a basic construct and make sure that they included some kind of special attack or ability that they didn't need to rely upon but that made them much more dangerous than they were before.

P.S. With the 8 inch dolls, I was envisioning a very Small Soldiers adventure. This is much more mundane, though potentionally more dangerous.

Nadaka

First Post
note: DR adamantine most accurately translates to hardness in d20 modern. And there are ways of cutting through some or even all of it... Like anti-tank weapons such as the LAW, Hellfire, and 20mm+ cannons.

Matchstick

Adventurer
ValhallaGH said:
Ah.
Hmmm....
Have you seen the rules for humanoid robots? I'd just take away the crit vulnerability, tack on appropriate hit dice and have fun.

If I was feeling lazy then I'd probably just use the Animated Objects rules with the caveat that they are as intelligent as I want them to be.

Alternatively you could write up the stats for a Plastic Golem. Which is just a mean idea. I'd start with a basic construct and make sure that they included some kind of special attack or ability that they didn't need to rely upon but that made them much more dangerous than they were before.

P.S. With the 8 inch dolls, I was envisioning a very Small Soldiers adventure. This is much more mundane, though potentionally more dangerous.

I don't want it to be quite obvious to the characters that there are toys involved at that stage of the adventure. I want that first encounter to be something to get them used to their characters, and that they can look back on later and say "Oh cripes, those were Ken dolls!" I'll have to think about how I want to handle those guys. I'm not sure I want them to be plastic, that's why I was saying awakened. I was thinking more of things that could be mistaken for clones, until the rest of the plot was revealed.

The Small Soldiers part of the adventure will be part of the climactic battle, where there's going to be a whole lot of different toys, and I think they'll be led by a candy golem (thanks to you)!

Remove ads