D&D 5E A "Fewer" Features Variant!?! (+)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
This is interesting, but it works better for some classes than others. Here's a quick sample of the choices I might make, up to level 10. Some work better than others.
The ones that work "better" are casters because due to higher spells they don't gain features. In essence access to higher spell levels IS their feature, which is why we considered imposing it (even the half-casters have blanks at those levels).

If you make full casters spend up to 8 features to gain spell levels 2 - 9, that makes their choices hard as well.

And the two classes that lose a lot (Monks and Paladins) have core classes that are SO strong, they don't even need subclasses IMO, so I am fine with that.

As a favor, if you do more in the future, could you post them as lists, with the level you select the feature? For example:

ROGUE BUILD (No Sneak Attack)
1. Expertise
2. Cunning Action
3. Scout Archetype (Survivalist 3rd)
4. ASI
5. Uncanny Dodge
6. Expertise
7. Evasion
8. ASI
9. Scout Archetype (Superior Mobility 9th)
10. ASI
11. Reliable Talent
12. ASI
13. Scout Archetype (Ambush Master 13th)
14. Blindsense
15. Slippery Mind
16. ASI
17. Scout Archetype (Skirmisher 3rd)
18. Elusive
19. ASI
20. Stroke of Luck

It is easier to follow IMO than:

Rogue: Expertise, Cunning Action, Scout-Level 3 feature, ASI, Uncanny Dodge, Expertise, Evasion, ASI, Scout-Level 9 feature, ASI, ...

Anyway, such a rogue would not be a combat-oriented PC with lacking Sneak Attack, but the only other feature lost would be Scout (Sudden Strike 17th), but that uses Sneak Attack so is nearly worthless anyway. Only two features (albeit SA is a big one for most players!) are lost.

Also, I'll append the OP to note that Druidic and Thieves' Cant are considered Languages, not features, so both those classes get them without having to choose them.

We discussed having access to higher level spells as a feature you would have to pick, and we might go that way eventually. There was also the possibility of making Ritual Spellcasting its own thing. But for now (two days into the idea LOL) we are just treating spellcasting as one entity.
I see. Do features like Sneak Attack and Extra Attack count as a single feature each, or does each entry on the level chart count as a separate feature?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I see. Do features like Sneak Attack and Extra Attack count as a single feature each, or does each entry on the level chart count as a separate feature?
Sneak Attack is one feature.
Extra Attack, Extra Attack (2), and Extra Attack (3) would all be separate features.

One side effect which would require a bit more tracking is if a PC picks up Sneak Attack or Spellcasting at later levels. If you pick up SA at 9th level, for example, instead of taking a subclass feature, it would START at 1d6, not suddenly at 5d6.

Horwath

Legend
The ones that work "better" are casters because due to higher spells they don't gain features. In essence access to higher spell levels IS their feature, which is why we considered imposing it (even the half-casters have blanks at those levels).

If you make full casters spend up to 8 features to gain spell levels 2 - 9, that makes their choices hard as well.

And the two classes that lose a lot (Monks and Paladins) have core classes that are SO strong, they don't even need subclasses IMO, so I am fine with that.

As a favor, if you do more in the future, could you post them as lists, with the level you select the feature? For example:

ROGUE BUILD (No Sneak Attack)
1. Expertise
2. Cunning Action
3. Scout Archetype (Survivalist 3rd)
4. ASI
5. Uncanny Dodge
6. Expertise
7. Evasion
8. ASI
9. Scout Archetype (Superior Mobility 9th)
10. ASI
11. Reliable Talent
12. ASI
13. Scout Archetype (Ambush Master 13th)
14. Blindsense
15. Slippery Mind
16. ASI
17. Scout Archetype (Skirmisher 3rd)
18. Elusive
19. ASI
20. Stroke of Luck

It is easier to follow IMO than:

Rogue: Expertise, Cunning Action, Scout-Level 3 feature, ASI, Uncanny Dodge, Expertise, Evasion, ASI, Scout-Level 9 feature, ASI, ...

Anyway, such a rogue would not be a combat-oriented PC with lacking Sneak Attack, but the only other feature lost would be Scout (Sudden Strike 17th), but that uses Sneak Attack so is nearly worthless anyway. Only two features (albeit SA is a big one for most players!) are lost.

Also, I'll append the OP to note that Druidic and Thieves' Cant are considered Languages, not features, so both those classes get them without having to choose them.
combat capability of this class look like a glorified peasant.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
combat capability of this class look like a glorified peasant.
So, it ISN'T supposed to be a combat-oriented character. That was the point. This character would still be a lot of fun to play IMO. You have expertise in 6 skills, not to mention increased speed and mobility. Take the Mobile feat and even more so.

With feats like Sharpshooter, even with only one attack, this character could still contribute to combat as well.

Remove ads