D&D 5E A First Look at Tasha’s Lineage System In AL Player’s Guide - Customizing Your Origin In D&D

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix. The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as...
The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix.

38384683-0EFA-4481-8D96-3C033B9F7F03.jpeg

The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as an appendix to this document and doesn’t count against the PH + 1 rule.

You can do any of the following (obviously the full document has more detail):

1. Move your race ability score increases wherever your want to. “...take any ability score increase you gain in your race or subrace and apply it to an ability score of your choice.”​

2. Replace each language from your race with any language from a set list.​

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.​

4. Alter behaviour/personality race-based descriptions.​

Its not clear if that’s the whole Lineage system or just part of it. You can download the player’s guide here.

Shiroiken

Legend
I doubt that's going to be the RAW. There's no way they'd allow a +6 to one ability.
Just checked the wording, and instead the basic human gets absolutely nothing. You can't move an ability bonus to another ability you already have a bonus to. So now the basic human (already the worst race in the game) is hot garbage. My statement about WotC being :poop: stands.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer

Whatever D&D race you choose for your character, you get a trait called Ability Score Increase. This increase reflects an archetypal bit of excellence in the adventurers of this kind in D&D’s past. For example, if you’re a dwarf, your Constitution increases by 2, because dwarf heroes in D&D are often exceptionally tough. This increase doesn’t apply to every dwarf, just to dwarf adventurers, and it exists to reinforce an archetype.

After lots of arguing about that in various threads throughout the years, nice to see a quote that PC racial adjustments are for PCs only, and has no implications for world building.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Just checked the wording, and instead the basic human gets absolutely nothing. You can't move an ability bonus to another ability you already have a bonus to. So now the basic human (already the worst race in the game) is hot garbage. My statement about WotC being :poop: stands.
VHuman is still the best race (species) in the game. Our honor is intact. :)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Well, no one plays basic human, anyway. I have only ever seen variant and dragonmarked humans be played.

Remove ads

Remove ads