D&D 5E A First Look at Tasha’s Lineage System In AL Player’s Guide - Customizing Your Origin In D&D

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix.

38384683-0EFA-4481-8D96-3C033B9F7F03.jpeg

The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as an appendix to this document and doesn’t count against the PH + 1 rule.

You can do any of the following (obviously the full document has more detail):

1. Move your race ability score increases wherever your want to. “...take any ability score increase you gain in your race or subrace and apply it to an ability score of your choice.”​

2. Replace each language from your race with any language from a set list.​

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.​

4. Alter behaviour/personality race-based descriptions.​

Its not clear if that’s the whole Lineage system or just part of it. You can download the player’s guide here.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Sometimes I don't envision the character at all. I let the dice give me a framework, and flesh it out based on that. It can be really fun, and in some ways it's more realistic, as people in real life don't determine all their attributes and have to work with what they get. I certainly don't do it all the time, but it can be refreshing.
I agree that it can be fun for some people, but not everyone. That's why I as a default never roll dice for the character generation of my players, but they can if they want to.

Your role at the table is to have fun, but your role in the party is to carry the weight of your in-game role.
Is it though? Like necessarily? Perhaps their role is to be the comic relief, perhaps their role is to be the moral support. As long as the GM takes into account the real effective combat strength of the party while designing the encounters (and they should,) then what does it matter?

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Sure, IMO that would equate well to the mountain dwarf and half-elf with their total of +4 ASIs. It might be a wee bit too much... but I am not going to gripe over a single +1 ASI one way or the other. I would probably add heavy armor proficiency to mountain dwarves since their extra +1 ASI is due to being considered a weaker race, but it probably isn't needed. I think half-elves are already a top race, so nothing further would need to be added there.
Yea, maybe fixed +1 and a an ASI (which can be a feat, or a +2, or 2 +1s). Just have a general rule you can't gain more than +2 boost in any one stat.

I like the heavy armor proficiency for mountain dwarf.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Your role at the table is to have fun, but your role in the party is to carry the weight of your in-game role.
Show me where in the rules that weight is defined.

The social contract says don't be a jerk, so making truly bad characters like a wizard with a stat penalty would be a violation. However, beyond that there is nothing wrong with playing a substandard race/class combo.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Is it though? Like necessarily. Perhaps their role is to be the comic relief, perhaps their role is to be the moral support. As long as the GM takes into account the real effective combat strength of the party while designing the encounters (and they should,) then what does it matter?

Those all feel like they could be part of " your in-game role" though, don't they? It feels like if you're in a game where it's constant edge of the seat next to death all hands on deck and everyone else wants to be the elite squad, that the role is different than a bunch of adventurers going off as comrades to do heaven knows what.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases