A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
So, yes, it would be problematic in my game. I can see the design intent for Blades, though, and it seems like a cool mechanic for that sort of game. I would actually like to try out that sort of game to get a good feel for those mechanics in that sort of game. I'm also curious what a "Stress Cost" is.

Max, I would have to say that I think you would struggle greatly with Blades in the Dark on the basis of your approach to gaming, here. It's a polar opposite to how you profess to play D&D and what some of you deeply held play priorities are based on your posts. For instance, stress is a resource players have that can be used, among other things, to tell the GM "No, I don't like that outcome, make it different and nicer to me." It can also be used to Flashback, which can entirely eliminate a challenge the GM has already proposed to the players, and to increase the effect of a successful check, or to roll more dice to get a successful check.

Oh, and the players ALWAYS get to pick what skill they use. The GM cannot veto it. The GM can only set the position and effect, and then only within the fiction and play guides. The GM is very limited in Blades as far as authority, and the players have numerous abilities to outright override the GM in a number of cases.

All that said, Blades is the tightest, most well integrated ruleset that does a fantastic job of doing what's on the tin: running a game of bad people doing bad things to other bad people.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Max, I would have to say that I think you would struggle greatly with Blades in the Dark on the basis of your approach to gaming, here. It's a polar opposite to how you profess to play D&D and what some of you deeply held play priorities are based on your posts. For instance, stress is a resource players have that can be used, among other things, to tell the GM "No, I don't like that outcome, make it different and nicer to me." It can also be used to Flashback, which can entirely eliminate a challenge the GM has already proposed to the players, and to increase the effect of a successful check, or to roll more dice to get a successful check.

Oh, and the players ALWAYS get to pick what skill they use. The GM cannot veto it. The GM can only set the position and effect, and then only within the fiction and play guides. The GM is very limited in Blades as far as authority, and the players have numerous abilities to outright override the GM in a number of cases.

All that said, Blades is the tightest, most well integrated ruleset that does a fantastic job of doing what's on the tin: running a game of bad people doing bad things to other bad people.

Long term you might be right. Short term, though, I can enjoy many things that I wouldn't want to do long term. For example, I really don't enjoy games that are comedic at heart. Not long term anyway. I prefer a more serious type of game, but one that can and does sometimes have humor. However, short term I do enjoy comedic games. I once had a blast playing in a D&D game where we rolled up 1st level versions of any TV or movie character you could think of. I went with Mr. Roarke. I was a 1st level conjurer, since wish was conjuration, and started off with a white suit that never ripped, wrinkled or got dirty. I also had a halfling sidekick who had +10 to his spot checks to see flying things.

Blades might not be my cup of tea for a year long campaign, but I think for a session or three I could enjoy it. I won't know, though, unless I give it a fair shake. And who knows, I've surprised myself before and enjoyed things I didn't think I would like, just as I've disliked things I thought I would enjoy.

Sadras

Legend
Perhaps because of @Sadras's misunderstanding about the relevance of Edwards's account of stance to your concerns about "metagaming", you think that there is some important connection between stance and metagaming,. But there is not. Stance is about the basis on which, and method whereby, players make action declarations for their characters. And D&D adventures depend upon the players making those decisions on the basis of certain well-known real world priorities.

There was no misunderstanding in my use of actor stance as I described it for Maxperson's game. If there has been any misunderstanding, it has been solely on your part since you are rigid in your understanding of the term.

I chose not to reply earlier since you continue in this rather, IMO, inane debate with Maxperson which is going to go nowhere as both of you are arguing from opposite ends and heels have now been dug in by both participants. Anyways, carry on regardless.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
WIn an RPG, if something isn't precluded by the rules, it is NOT included in the game at all unless the DM says it is.
There is not a shred of a reason to think that this claim is true.

[quote-pemerton]RQ answers these questions through a mixture of stipulation and skill checks.
Excellent. So just like my game.[/quote]Probably just like anyone's game, given that they're the two main options. The issue of relevance to the current discussion is stipulation by whom. There is no assumption that that must be the GM.

Depends on whether he travels days away very often. Headmen change and if the PC didn't go more than a few miles from home before beginning to adventure, knowing who the headman is for sure would be in doubt. If they traveled to that town often to sell sheep, then it would be a yes unless the headman changed very recently.
Who gets to decide all this stuff, and the stuff that follows from it? It doesn't have to be the GM.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Resuming recently our WFRP2ed game, the whole first session was spent on Previously recap, accountability, filling equip sheets, and a very long speech intro/description by the Gm to prepare for playing. Session ended.
How long was this? Two hours? More?

The next, we started already on the location, but then instead of a fast scene framing, we had to play the whole initial approach phase, meeting locals Npcs, and extracting info from them word by word, basically.

It's always nice to interact with Npcs, the problem being that the table was by then set in Audience Mode, not really interacting anymore, or declaring anything meaningful. I improvised a situation on my own involving clueless fellow Pcs , to keep the Gm and his Npcs busy, and finally free I could go alone to the location we wanted to be in the first place... risking my character's life and forcing the party to come resque me and engage the meaty encounter after a too long downtime and bland exploration.
Again, I wonder how this played out in real world time.

Not sure if on my part was Actor or Pawn stance... probably a mix of both, given the situation.
The instigation bit seems like Pawn Stance, possibly Author if you wrote in a motivation for your character.

As your example shows, there's nothing pejorative or inferior about Pawn Stance. At least in some scenario designs, especially fairly traditional D&D-style ones, it's crucial for actually making the adventure happen!

Numidius

Adventurer
How long was this? Two hours? More?

Again, I wonder how this played out in real world time.

The instigation bit seems like Pawn Stance, possibly Author if you wrote in a motivation for your character.

As your example shows, there's nothing pejorative or inferior about Pawn Stance. At least in some scenario designs, especially fairly traditional D&D-style ones, it's crucial for actually making the adventure happen!
Around four hours each. the first one was also clunky cause the Gm was transitioning from recapping to establishing new stuff rather freely and we had to stop play and review his assumptions, in case roleplay a bit, then resume our Reckoner stance. Slow, boring process.
The second was a sort of puzzle solving using real life psicology... in the end we had to interrupt in the middle of a combat encounter cause it was very late.
For the next time I will demand more Framing, since we're all old & experienced friends. Perhaps too old, by now :D

pemerton

Legend
Pawn can't happen without author stance, and you certainly aren't authoring anything in the beginning of that module.
See, this isn't correct.

To requote:

In Author stance, a person determines a character's decisions and actions based on the real person's priorities, then retroactively "motivates" the character to perform them. (Without that second, retroactive step, this is fairly called Pawn stance.)​

And to rephrase that: in pawn stance, a player determines a character's decisions and actions based on the real person's priorities; in author stance, a player supplements what otherwise would be a pawn stance action declaration with a second step, of retroactively imputing an appropriate motivation to the character.

Why give pawn stance that label? Because the character is a "piece" (or "pawn", or to use Gyagx's terminology a "figure") used by the player to succeed at the game, where success of course is determined by real world priorities.

Why give autor stance that label? Because the player, in moving his/her "piece" in a way that gives effect to his/her priorities, is also authoring the character by establishing appropriate mental states in the fiction that, within the fiction, make sense of the character's actions. A pretty typical example: in the first session of a D&D game, a player decides that his PC approaches the other PCs in the tavern, declaring that "My guy thinks that pair of elves looks pretty interesting, and so I introduce myself to them" - the player's real world priority (of getting the party together) is what actually motivates the action declaration, but the player retroactively imputes a motivation to his/her PC ("those elves look pretty interesting").

To declare actions in actor stance, those motivations already need to be established, so that there is sufficient material to infer actions without needing to introduce the player's real world priorities.

I understand and I'm saying you are wrong. If I have no background, and nothing else to go off of, and the DM says to me, "There is are light woods ahead of you," that is sufficient for me to achieve actor stance. My character has knowledge of the woods, has perceived the woods, and I can based off those things inform the DM as to what action I take. If I declare that I got into the woods and look for a trail through," that is an actor stance declaration.
No it's not. Where does your PC's motivation to look for a trail come from?

We don't need to know his mental state. We only need to know what he knows and perceives about the situation. You are ascribing more to actor stance than is required or included in the Forge's definition.
Yes we do, and no I'm not.

Choices and decision are grounded in motivations. The player can either decide for his/her PC using real world motivations ("priorities"), in which case we have author stance. Or can decide using only the PC's mental states and extrapolating from them, in which case we have actor stance.

Here's another quote from Ron Edwards, in one of his review essays about "fantasy heartbreakers", that feeds into the point I'm making:

The key assumption throughout all these games is that if a gaming experience is to be intelligent (and all Fantasy Heartbreakers make this claim), then the most players can be relied upon to provide is kind of the "Id" of play - strategizing, killing, and conniving throughout the session. They are the raw energy, the driving "go," and the GM's role is to say, "You just scrap, strive, and kill, and I'll show ya, with this book, how it's all a brilliant evocative fantasy."

It's not Illusionism - there's no illusion at all, just movement across the landscape and the willingness to fight as the baseline player things to do. At worst, the players are apparently slathering kill-counters using simple alignment systems to set the bar for a given group . . .; sometimes, they are encouraged to give characters "personality" like "hates fish" or "likes fancy clothes"; and most of the time, they're just absent from the text, "Player who? Character who?" . . . The Explorative, imaginative pleasure experienced by a player - and most importantly, communicated among players - simply doesn't factor into play at all, even in the more Simulationist Fantasy Heartbreakers, which are universally centered on Setting.

I think this is a serious problem for fantasy role-playing design. It's very, very hard to break out of D&D Fantasy assumptions for many people, and the first step, I think, is to generate the idea that protagonism (for any GNS mode) can mean more than energy and ego.​

To build on what Edwards says here, of course one can trivially "convert" pawn stance into actor stance if one posits that one's PC has no motivations other than those of Edwards's "Id": a drive to "win" by killing and looting. But the goal of post-D&D "simulationist" FRPGs like RQ, C&S and the like is to enable actor stance in a richer sense than this, by providing sufficient context (psychological and/or social) to permit a relatively rich inhabitation of the PC and resultant actor stance action declarations.

Throngor perceives that the caves exist and knows where they are. His actor stance action declaration in response to that knowledge and perception is to mount a personal assault on the Caves. That's all you need.

<snip>

I can go through that module making each and every decision based on what my PC knows and perceives about the situations at hand.
This is precisely an example of Edwards's "Id". There's no character here, no in-fiction motivation. Just raw drive, which is indistinguishable from the player's desire to succeed at the game by beating the dungeon.

In an RPG, if a player is playing Spot, he will determine the motivations and such.
Of course, but that tells us nothing about stance. If those motivations are determined as part of the process of action declaration - which in RPGing they very commonly are - then we have author stance. Similarly, if your decide that your PC looks for a trail through the woods because you, the player, are thinking about what seems like a sensible thing to do in a wargaming sense, and you then impute to your PC a belief that trails lead to safety, that is author stance too.

This is a bad example.

<snip>

Writing a book is not roleplaying, so you are comparing apples and oranges here.
With respect, this suggest that you've either missed the point of the example, or missed the logic of "stances".

An author deciding what Spot does next, and a player deciding what his/her PC does next, are very similar (in some cases perhaps identical) decision-situations, and both can be approached in actor or author stance as defined by Ron Edwards. (You can't write a story in pawn stance, at least if your character is to have any inner life at all.)

pemerton said:
I disagree. The adventuring prince/noble is a trope. My PC could marry the princess and still go off and search for the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth with his buddies in his free time.
This seems to completely miss Kubasik's point.

When Kubasik says "Modules disintegrated the moment a player got the bright idea of having his character become a lord by courting a princess," he is talking about courting the princess being the actual substance of play. I have played Prince Valiant session in which courting noble ladies has been the principle focus of play. The system supports that. It supports romantic rivalry, whether between PCs or between PCs and NPCs. B2 doesn't: as Kubasik says, D&D "offered no rules for courting a princess". In B/X and Gygax's AD&D there are rules for fighting, for searching doors and walls, for opening doors, for encountering and evading rival armed bands, and for determining the reaction rolls of de-contexualised strangers. There are no rules for courtship or for romantic rivalry. And a game which is The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth will not, cannot, have courtship and romance as its principal focus of play.

This idea that you have to have incredible richness in order to achieve actor stance results the achievement of actor stance being a snipe hunt.
Nonsense. When I play Burning Wheel, I'm nearly always declaring actions in actor stance. Here's an excellent description of the process by Eero Tuovinen (again, he doesn't use the particular terminology but he describes the phenomenon well in the context of what he calls "the standard narrativistic model" of RPGing):

The rest of the players [ie all but the GM] each have their own characters to play. They play their characters according to the advocacy role: the important part is that they naturally allow the character’s interests to come through based on what they imagine of the character’s nature and background. . . .

[O]nce the players have established concrete characters, situations and backstory in whatever manner a given game ascribes, the GM starts framing scenes for the player characters. Each scene is an interesting situation in relation to the premise of the setting or the character (or wherever the premise comes from, depends on the game). The GM describes a situation that provokes choices on the part of the character. The player is ready for this, as he knows his character and the character’s needs, so he makes choices on the part of the character.​

Burning Wheel has formal elements of PC build that help establish these PC motivations. For instance, my character Thurgon has the following relevant elements on his PC sheet:

Beliefs
*The Lord of Battle will lead me to glory
*I am a Knight of the Iron Tower: by devotion and example I will lead the righteous to glorious victory
*Harm and infamy will befall Auxol no more!
*Aramina will need my protection

Instincts
*When entering battle, always speak a prayer to the Lord of Battle
*If an innocent is threatened, interpose myself
*When camping, always ensure that the campfire is burning

Relationships
*Xanthippe (Mother, on the family estate at Auxol)
*Aramina (sorceress companion)

Reputations & Affiliations
*+1D rep (last Knight of the Iron Tower)
*+1D rep (infamous among demons - intransigent demon foe) [This one was earned in play]
*+1D aff von Pfizer family
*+1D aff Order of the Iron Tower
*+1D aff nobility​

But actor stance is eminently possible in games without these sorts of formal elements. In one RM campaign, one of the PCs was a rather powerful sorcerer who had been born a slave, bought his freedom, and climbed the social ladder. He had a nice townhouse that he leased, and had aspirations to become a magistrate of his city. These features of the character made it easy for me, as GM, to present situations that could be responded to in actor stance.

And there are obviously other ways to approach this outside of the scene-framing method that I personally incline towards. For instance, if the setting is rich, and the PC is built by reference to that setting (see, again, RQ for an example) then - provided the player understands the setting and his/her PC's place in it - then actor stance is relatively easy to achieve.

Of course, it's always possible for a GM to frame a situation that is, from the perspective of the player adopting actor stance, a non-sequitur. If the GM doesn't describe a situation that speaks in some fashion to the motivations established by a player for his/her PC then the player will have to drop out of actor stance and adopt some other stance (see eg [MENTION=6972053]Numidius[/MENTION]'s post about his/her (? sorry, I'm not sure what the right pronoun is) WHFRPG game, where to make things happen it was necessary to declare actions in pawn stance). Or in a setting-based game, if the GM's situation doesn't engage the player's understanding of the setting, the result might be pawn stance, or even the degenerate case of the player asking the GM What would my character do in response to such-and-such?

Whether this sort of non-sequitur (assuming its not degenerate) counts as good or bad GMing will depend on the details of system, table, mood, present in-game circumstances, etc. In my RM game, the player of the would-be magistrate sorcerer sometimes declared actions in author stance rather than actor stance because he wanted to facilitate game play, maintain party cohesion, etc. And sometimes I would frame situations that were intended to engage a different PC, and then the player of this PC had to retroactively decide what his character thought about those things.

But to me, the thought that if actor stance depends on rich motivations than it's hard to do suggests a lack of familiarity with the relevant techniques, whether setting or scene-framing based. Most of the history of post-D&D RPGing, and even elements of D&D RPGing (eg some of the 2nd ed era approaches to setting) is an attempt to develop and give effect to these techniques which will enable actor stance!

Numidius

Adventurer
Can you say a bit more about this?
Well we know each other from a long time. The Gm wanted us to stay put roleplaying while he slowly introduced the Npc situation (he probably planned we later on had to go with them to face the "big encounter"). Other players just were in Audience mode waiting. One of them has a shadow mage pc so I "suggested" him to cast invisibility and roam in the Npc camp. Gm reacted having Npcs look for him... and I then went on my own away with an excuse. When They solved the missing mage affair, I was on the spot and started exploring, combat ensued, and then everyone else came after me, and the whole party proceeded (slowly...) towards the "meaty" stuff, stuff we were supposed to start the game with the previous session.
I was acting as a facilitator, to speed up things in-fiction, without complaining in real life at the table, which would have been counterproductive at best, if not irritating.
Before the next evening, I'm going to talk with the Gm about it, btw. I don't mean to skip smaller encounters, but we need to have the situations Clear rapidly and then declare actions, goals, with a steady pace, or it is going to take forever.

pemerton

Legend
Thanks [MENTION=6972053]Numidius[/MENTION]. When you had said "puzzle solving using real-life psychology" I at first though you had meant the GM had (deliberately) posed a puzzle to you that he expected you to solve by application of real life psychology. But now I realise that you meant that the whole at-the-table situation, including the Gm, confronted you with a puzzle which you solved by application of real life psychology by coming up with a plan that would enable you to get things moving.

I hope you're able to have a fruitful conversation with your friends. The play that you're describing sounds really painful!

Remove ads