A Guide to Combat Roleplay

• Thread starter Tharivious_Meliamne
  • Start date

K

karmen

I agree whole heartedly with everything ;my fighter characters play exactly along those lines Thar and if everyone played that way I wouldn't have to walk my characters out of stupid fights with people who think they can knock me about simply because the stats they tell me they have are off the scale. I have almost given up on fighting because of "god" characters.
PS my one fight with Thar is still my all time favorite and even though I lost I still reread it with a smile during dull moments.. Hope to fight with you again some time....

Though 'tis an old post, aye, the method o lady luck is open to ye. Just make certain that the enemy ain't got loaded dice!
Eligre rolls 1d20: 1.

I guess I miss. But c'mon, wouldn't it be fun to see two "god" characters fight it out, for eternity, because none of them will admit to loss? As long as they are descriptive, it can still be a fun Titan clash! :p

And Tharivious, if you bother reading this, cormlle naa tanya tel'raa. We all appreciate this! Love your work. :cool:

Tharivious

First Post
Sketchpad said:
I know that I always just had opponents and myself roll a d20 ... whoever got higher hit and got to dictate who did what ;)

Certainly an option as well, when both players trust one another. Diced combat can work quite nicely as long as both players trust each other not to fabricate matters (as Eligre points out).

Waara Eligre Ai'Loki said:
Though 'tis an old post, aye, the method o lady luck is open to ye. Just make certain that the enemy ain't got loaded dice!
Eligre rolls 1d20: 1.

I guess I miss. But c'mon, wouldn't it be fun to see two "god" characters fight it out, for eternity, because none of them will admit to loss? As long as they are descriptive, it can still be a fun Titan clash!

And Tharivious, if you bother reading this, cormlle naa tanya tel'raa. We all appreciate this! Love your work.

I always keep up to date on my threads. ;) Thanks for the complement on the old guide. :)

And... having actually seen two 'godlings' battle in my early days (heck, in more recent days too actually)... It's not as much fun as it would appear. It's rather like watching paint dry actually, just with more explosions, sword work, and enough dodging to make Neo Anderson jealous. And that's not to mention the summoning, ethereal forms sinking into the ground beyond range of antimagic, and excessive use of overactions...

You know, a revision to the guide may be in order with things I was unaware of when writing the original, but I've got enough on my proverbial plate right now as it is. :p

Silver_Shulad

First Post
*cracks his knuckles*

I dont have time to add to this at the moment, but you have a good base going here Thar, and i think i will add to it at the end of the day, but at the moment my pain killers are wearing off :( so maybe in a bit, if ya don't mind.

And on that last post, heaven forbit that a 17th level mage uses magic to elude death and danger, and use spells that have more narration then 'explodes big' other then that, your god moders might just be they type that go for detailed narration more then anything else to make it look good, does not mean its any less functional.

Eligre sidesteps the semi-constructive critisism, ducks low, and fires a glowing black shard of entropy at the right thigh of Silver Shulad.

Noo! We must use simple, one word sentances, that are cut short, and don't seem to go on and on forever, that way, people don't get annoyed at you for being immortal!

Note: I realise that I am being a hypocrite. I say I am a hypocrite, that way if I am hypocritical, I won't be a hypocrite. And it's good you keep up to date on your articles!

In her best fangirl voice:
We luv ya, Thar!

:p :p :p :p :p

Tharivious

First Post
Silver_Shulad said:
And on that last post, heaven forbit that a 17th level mage uses magic to elude death and danger, and use spells that have more narration then 'explodes big' other then that, your god moders might just be they type that go for detailed narration more then anything else to make it look good, does not mean its any less functional.

By overactions, I meant entering five actions for every one of the other players (yes, plural, as in five actions per other person's action). When this includes firing off spells in rapid succession, it's clearly not some 17th level mage we're talking about, and I think you know that fully well with what you know of D&D mechanics. And that use of magic to "elude death and danger", as you put it, was a succession of spells cast in a single time frame where fully four (I believe, could have been three, same point stands regardless) other players were still typing their entries, not exactly something that non-godmoders tend to do on a regular basis.

Overacting can be a good thing, as in defining actions clearly and describing what is being done without flooding the screen. It has its limits where this can cross into pretentiousness, but it can be a good thing in helping other readers understand what is being done. Clarifying what is being attempted is a key principal that I have always held to when I've entered the combat arenas, as it leaves less room for questioning what is actually occurring at a given point in the scenario. It's also why when I'm involved in combat, it takes a few moments to type up an action rather than flooding the screen with partial thoughts or numerous vague actions.

Descriptiveness is a very good thing. Flooding the screen with enough posts that other players lose track of what's going on, is not, which is what I was talking about. :)

As a matter of fact, I think I may revise the guide tonight and repost it if I get the writing bug and enough time.

Silver_Shulad

First Post
Well, i can agree that many chars do throw spells when all they ever use is a sword, or expect that the uber enchanted weapon has a higher casting level then an acient dragon and twice as many. But as for four spells in one round especial, how about quickened spell standard action spell, maybe twin spell, then a chain spell on either and any number of contingent spells designed to go off in tandum.. LOL and that is all acceptable. But yes, i know that most there do not read up on D&D or play it so they are just shooting things out there ass, but here i have show that it is realistic.

Question on your first example of the monks, please. If the monk blocks the palm strike to his chest and is pushed back, would it not be harder for the other monk to bring in the knee to his side, as well as the monks blocking arm could move down to deflect, or his free hand could also. Maybe you are just showing it simply, i just thought if the force of the blow brought him back the monk would have had to step in with his palm strike then being the back leg up to knee, and the force maybe would have taken the monk out of the knees range?

Jude

First Post
Silver_Shulad said:
Well, i can agree that many chars do throw spells when all they ever use is a sword, or expect that the uber enchanted weapon has a higher casting level then an acient dragon and twice as many. But as for four spells in one round especial, how about quickened spell standard action spell, maybe twin spell, then a chain spell on either and any number of contingent spells designed to go off in tandum.. LOL and that is all acceptable. But yes, i know that most there do not read up on D&D or play it so they are just shooting things out there ass, but here i have show that it is realistic.

Your somewhat colorful language nonwithstanding, I would point out that the D&D rules, as published, are not exactly written with PC vs. PC combat in mind -- they're based on PCs vs. monsters/NPCs/ect -- NOT them fighting each other.

Common courtesy, in this particular sort of setting, would be casting ONE spell, taking ONE (maybe two, possibly even three) swings with a weapon and then waiting for other folks to take their actions, to see what yours do.

This from the one who doesn't fight often (though I've been in one or two recently, surprisingly enough. Fancy that. I don't think folks will ever insult THAT character again.....)

My pocket of coppers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases