• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A jesus fish for role players

chriton227

Explorer
I agree with Ginnel-role-players aren't persecuted. Harrassed occasionally, but nothing major.

I really wish that was always the case, but it is reported that the Israeli Defense Force screens recruits to determine if they are role players, and if they are, sends them for a psych eval because they consider participating in role playing games in indicator of a weak personality or a detachment from reality. A large portion of those referred are given low security clearances as a result, limiting their military career options. Many of them likely wouldn't have been sent for the psych eval had they not admitted to playing RPGs.

At one point the Swedish government looked at pulling funding from an organization of gaming clubs because of a belief that there was a correlation between playing RPGs and committing acts of violence. They commissioned a study which ended up refuting this belief, but this is another example of role players being subjected to additional scrutiny just because they were role players

I've also known people who felt that anyone participating in RPGs was morally corrupt and potentially dangerous (due in large part of the mainstream media scares of the late 70s and early 80s) and nothing anyone (particularly a role player) could say would change their mind. How do you think things would go if those people were in a supervisory role and found out one of their subordinates was a role player?

I don't know if these events are common enough to be considered persecution, but it is definitely enough to make me wary of letting people know I'm a role player until I know them well enough that I don't think it will change their impression of me,.Gaming isn't important enough to me to be worth risking future career advancement or community relationships over.

Voadam

Legend
At one point the Swedish government looked at pulling funding from an organization of gaming clubs because of a belief that there was a correlation between playing RPGs and committing acts of violence. They commissioned a study which ended up refuting this belief, but this is another example of role players being subjected to additional scrutiny just because they were role players

Wow. The Swedish government funds gaming club organizations? In college our gaming club got to reserve a room to meet, but that was it.

C.W.Richeson

Explorer
I also consider the Go Play symbol to be a general gaming symbol.

For what it's worth, I think treating playing RPGs like some sort of sin that needs to be hidden is part of the behaviour that makes it seem strange.

Nadaka

First Post
I have seen book burnings. I have seen people recoil in horror and spit on me knowing that I play D&D. I have had people tell me that I should not buy a computer because satan is in the machine. I have been called a devil worshipper, damned to hell for any number of so called sins. I have had book store employees refuse to service me and curse my name rather than touch D&D books I had intended to purchase (I am never going to set foot in a barnes & noble in my life, and I encourage everyone I know to do the same).

You guys who say that you have never faced discrimination for having this hobby are very very lucky.

rivetgeek

First Post
I have seen book burnings. I have seen people recoil in horror and spit on me knowing that I play D&D. I have had people tell me that I should not buy a computer because satan is in the machine. I have been called a devil worshipper, damned to hell for any number of so called sins. I have had book store employees refuse to service me and curse my name rather than touch D&D books I had intended to purchase (I am never going to set foot in a barnes & noble in my life, and I encourage everyone I know to do the same).

You guys who say that you have never faced discrimination for having this hobby are very very lucky.

That's not discrimination, that's the result of people missing chromosomes. There's a difference.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I for one REFUSE to be treated strangely when other people skydive or bungie for fun, or paint themselves blue and orange at a football game in 12 degree weather to cheer on their team. :D

QFT.

I kinda want to sig this, but i don't know what the heck context it'll take on long after this thread is gone. :)

Tewligan

First Post
I have seen people recoil in horror and spit on me knowing that I play D&D... I have had book store employees refuse to service me and curse my name rather than touch D&D books I had intended to purchase
Whaaaaat? So you're saying that people actually spit on you, and employees at a bookstore refused to handle, y'know, books? You're really saying that happened?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads