Level Up (A5E) A journey example

aco175

Legend
I see that there is an encounter table for each tier in ach terrain. Is this so parties can only meet challenges that are appropriate to their level, or are they set up so there is a chance to become over their head. Similar to the Sandbox vs. Party thread.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I see that there is an encounter table for each tier in ach terrain. Is this so parties can only meet challenges that are appropriate to their level, or are they set up so there is a chance to become over their head. Similar to the Sandbox vs. Party thread.
It's a tool for the GM to support both styles of play. The tables can be used either way. You can either say "Mirkwood is a tier 3 Feywood" and use tier 3 encounters and exploration challenges within its borders; or, if you prefer, you can present a party entering Mirkwood with encounters and challenges suited to their own tier.

Stalker0

Legend
It’s a terrain type, not a place name! Every fighter in your game isn’t called ‘Fighter’, either!
Right, but it is meant to be a generic name right? I mean if the fighter was called the “deep sea myrmidon”, people would raise an eyebrow at this “generic fighting class” having such a name.

Faolyn

(she/her)
It's a tool for the GM to support both styles of play. The tables can be used either way. You can either say "Mirkwood is a tier 3 Feywood" and use tier 3 encounters and exploration challenges within its borders; or, if you prefer, you can present a party entering Mirkwood with encounters and challenges suited to their own tier.
Plus you can do regions within regions. The Deep Dark Forest is scary enough, but if you ignore the warnings and follow the floating lights, the forest gets a lot more dangerous.

Remove ads