D&D 5E A Knife in the Dark, A Rogues Handbook

Arcane Trickster: "Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the wizard spells you know with another spell of your choice from the wizard spell list. The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots"

A Wizard 2/Arcane trickster 15 (multiclass lvl 7) has one 4th lvl spell slot. Can they not exchange one spell they know for a 4th lvl spell?

That's the general spells known rule for arcane tricksters. Now look at the specific spells known rule for multiclass spellcasters. ;)

clutchbone

First Post
That's the general spells known rule for arcane tricksters. Now look at the specific spells known rule for multiclass spellcasters. ;)

Huh. I thought the multiclassing was the general (concerning all classes), and the Arcane Trickster was specific (concerning one subclass). Oh well, at least now it's much simpler for me to determine spells known!

??? Your max spell level stays the same either way. Neither gets 4th level spells unless they would on their own.

Yeah, forgot to put this in. For multiclass casting, you prepare and cast your spells from a class as if you were a singleclassed character. Otherwise you'd get abuse like Bard 17/Cleric 1/Druid 1/Wizard 1. Of course, your argument works if you just substitute 3rd level spells in place of the 4th.

ZANYoEXE

First Post
Hi, [MENTION=98332]clutchbone[/MENTION] , I found this post while looking to Min-max a rogue so this was very useful. I have a question, though I may just be missing something. How do you have so many cantrips, even at 20th level, on your Arcane Trickster build. As far as I know they can only learn 4 cantrips, and from what I read Magic Initiate doesn't give you any more cantrips, just the Wizard spell. So I guess I'm just confused, and if you could explain how that happens it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi, [MENTION=98332]clutchbone[/MENTION] , I found this post while looking to Min-max a rogue so this was very useful. I have a question, though I may just be missing something. How do you have so many cantrips, even at 20th level, on your Arcane Trickster build. As far as I know they can only learn 4 cantrips, and from what I read Magic Initiate doesn't give you any more cantrips, just the Wizard spell. So I guess I'm just confused, and if you could explain how that happens it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi - Im not the person you were contacting, however, if you look at Magic Initiate, it does indeed give you 2 additional cantrips.

Taojones

First Post
Great guide. I think another good multiclass option is Hexblade 5/ Swashbuckler 15. Invocations: Devil Sight, Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade
Cantrips: Booming Blade, lighting lure
Other spell: Darkness

Darkness on the off-hand weapon, Booming Blade attack with advantage, sneak attack, and crit your curse target on 19

And if you're an elf or half-elf, take Elven Accuracy somewhere in there to get that advantage reroll on all those attacks

Questionor

First Post
Awesome guide! thanks!
Questions about the example swashbuckler build. Is there a logic behind ASI ordering of Dex then Dual Wield then Dex again? (as opposed to Dex/Dex/DW or DW/Dex/Dex). You also mention dipping 1 level into fighter for TWF style. When is a good time to do that?

For the 12Swashbucker/8fighter multiclass, which would you take at level 1? and do you go back and forth or do you think it is best to go all one class and then switch to the other?

Any chance you can do an example Inquisitive build and tips for Inquisitive. (e.g. do they do better as melee or ranged)

TIA!

Antarx

Villager
It's a great guide. Good Job!

I would like to point that the Tiefling from the SCAG must be sky blue, or even gold. You can choose the feral subtype that gives you +2 Dex and +1 int (great for any dex character) but ALSO you can choose to have wings (both subtypes can be combined). If you add this to darkvision 60' and fire resistance, I can't think of a better race for a rogue.

Remove ads