D&D 5E A Knife in the Dark, A Rogues Handbook

G

Guest 6801328

Has anybody tried taking Sentinel on a rogue? I haven't, but I kind of like the idea of tons of extra sneak attacks. It seems like its effectiveness would depend on the sort of DM you have, which can probably roughly be divided into two camps:

1) Those who will say, "Well, if attacking anybody but you would cause you to get a sneak attack against them, I guess everybody is going to attack you." These are DMs you want to avoid. At least with this build, but maybe in general.

2) Those who figure their monsters don't know you have this ability, and won't figure it out until after you've used it once or twice or more, depending on the type of monsters. These are the DMs you want.

Anyway, anybody have any experience trying this?

squibbles

Adventurer
Tips, Tricks & Combos
Your damage will spike upwards if you manage to get reaction attacks with Sneak Attack. See "Ways to attack with your Reaction" in the Handy links section.

I was not able to find the link for "Ways to attack with your Reaction", would you kindly point me in its direction?

Much obliged.

Zardnaar

Legend
I was not able to find the link for "Ways to attack with your Reaction", would you kindly point me in its direction?

Much obliged.

Old post failing memory. Basically sentinel feat or help form class features/spells such as a Battlemaster or Dissonant Whispers IIRC.

To the OP disagree about the Ranger/Rogue MC build. Rogue 8 MC into hunter ranger for the next 5 levels is a great idea IMHO. losing 3d6 sneak attack it well worth it for all the stuff you get such as hunters quarry, 2nd attack, weapon style (dual wielders) and collossus slayer/hordebreaker. Hunter Ranger is frontloaded a bit level 9-13 are not to exciting for Rogues.
Would kick that one up to dark blue and the fighter MC is possibly gold although the light blue rating is fine:pFighter is good for 1-8 levels generally or you can go strength based and tank around in heavy armor with shield master and expertise in athletics- you can still sneak attack with a rapier and key it off strength.

Last edited:

clutchbone

First Post
Old post failing memory. Basically sentinel feat or help form class features/spells such as a Battlemaster or Dissonant Whispers IIRC.

To the OP disagree about the Ranger/Rogue MC build. Rogue 8 MC into hunter ranger for the next 5 levels is a great idea IMHO. losing 3d6 sneak attack it well worth it for all the stuff you get such as hunters quarry, 2nd attack, weapon style (dual wielders) and collossus slayer/hordebreaker. Hunter Ranger is frontloaded a bit level 9-13 are not to exciting for Rogues.
Would kick that one up to dark blue and the fighter MC is possibly gold although the light blue rating is fine:pFighter is good for 1-8 levels generally or you can go strength based and tank around in heavy armor with shield master and expertise in athletics- you can still sneak attack with a rapier and key it off strength.

Yeah, Hunter is out, Gloom Stalker is in. I've actually updated the multiclass section a bit for XGtE subclasses, as well as the Unearthed Arcana races section for Races of Eberron.

For the fighter multiclass, I don't use gold in my ratings; sky blue is the highest honour. :)

guachi

Hero
Has anybody tried taking Sentinel on a rogue?
[A]nybody have any experience trying this?

I do. I spend most of my time DMing so this is literally the only PC I've played.

I made him more of a melee fightery type with levels in Fighter and Ranger, but not at the same time. I've tried both a Fighter/Rogue and Ranger/Rogue on the same PC. The DM let me switch between the two so I could get them out.

When just the PHB was out I was Hunter/Assassin. The last incarnation was a Battlemaster/Swashbuckler I've also tried Gloomstalker/Swashbuckler.

Even though they were all heavy on Fighter or Ranger levels they still felt rogue-like... eventually. If I had to do it over again and wanted to feel more like a Rogue I'd have started as one at level one.

It's really fun with Sentinel as it makes you really feel like some kind of duelist master who counterpunches. Battlemaster gave it more of that counterpunch feel with Parry and Riposte. Either Ranger subclass was more offensive.

Glenn Wilson1

First Post
Question on the Mountain Dwarf Strength Build.

The skills are not computing.

Criminal gives you Deception and Stealth.

from OP - [FONT=&quot]At first I was skeptical, but you can definitely build a decent rogue that uses Strength for attacks. This rogue is a textbook hired goon, adept in shaking down, roughing up, and ransacking. Instead of sneaking around, this bruiser eventually masters the art of knocking enemies prone with a shield and then Sneak Attacking them while they lie in the dirt. The one fighter level is for shield proficiency.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Race: Mountain Dwarf[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ability Score Array: Str 17, Con 15, Dex 15, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Background: Criminal[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Proficient Skills: Athletics[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Insight, Intimidation, Perception, Stealth, Sleight of Hand[/FONT]

Last edited:

Remove ads