A Lack of Vision

Schmoe

Adventurer
OK tangent time about moonlight:
The rules say that a candle produces bright light in 5 ft, dim in 10 ft radius. This seems reasonable to me.

A standard candle is a well-defined thing in science. It produces illumination of 0.008 lux at 5 ft and 0.001 lux at 10 feet.

Wikipedia says a full moon gives 0.05 to 0.3 lux. So that should be bright light.
A moonless clear night with air glow (?) gives 0.002 lux, that should be dim.
An overcast night gives 0.0001 lux. THAT should be dark.

As someone who has done a fair share of camping on moonlit nights, I'll say that as long as you stay in open areas, you can see very well without any additional light. If you go into a forest, though, that's another matter entirely. That would definitely be dim light. Maybe the 5e designers just don't understand what a moonlit night actually is?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
As someone who has done a fair share of camping on moonlit nights, I'll say that as long as you stay in open areas, you can see very well without any additional light. If you go into a forest, though, that's another matter entirely. That would definitely be dim light. Maybe the 5e designers just don't understand what a moonlit night actually is?
I totally agree! Moonlight hikes have been among my favorite and most scenic. Certainly true about the forest as well.

Remove ads