D&D 4E A learning from 4e

Warbringer

Explorer
One of the features I really liked about the 4e players books is that the classess "powers" are listed in the class section. Sure, I get some of the redundancy concerns, but I think it is a feature that should be leveraged in the "next" edition.

I also think it will help with "creativity", rather than yeah just the ranger the 3rd level Druid spell, there is more "Well, it would be just redundant to reprint the "Druid" spell in the Ranger class section, so lets make it different spell".

Personally, I just like the organization if everything the player really needs in the same place in the book.

This sounds like it needs a poll. I certainly prefer that the massive "spells" listing have its own category rather than extending the "cleric" section to innumerable pages.

Kinak

First Post
Personally, I just like the organization if everything the player really needs in the same place in the book.
Organizationally, it definitely makes more sense.

But it'd be pretty strange with things arranged as they are now. Some classes would go on for dozens of pages, while others would be a single page. It might still be worth it, but it's definitely something to think about.

That said, it'd definitely be great for a beginner product where only the first few levels (and therefore a reasonable number of spells) are presented.

Cheers!
Kinak

Warbringer

Explorer
Organizationally, it definitely makes more sense.

But it'd be pretty strange with things arranged as they are now. Some classes would go on for dozens of pages, while others would be a single page. It might still be worth it, but it's definitely something to think about.

Cheers!
Kinak
It would definitely be a signal towards choice complexity, for sure.

While I, like you, prefer it, I'm uncertain if it will work for 5e. One of the classic legacy issues of D&D has always been its grandiose lists that some folks love to pore through; spells, magic items, tools, etc. The spell/powers organization in 4e (siloed to class rather than list) was another contentious part of the edition (and another part of it that I love!).

Given that legacy has primacy as a format, design and flavor tenet in 5e, I doubt you will get your wish here.

A

amerigoV

I did not really get into 4e, but I really did not like that when I first saw it. When starting a campaign or just to have a bit of reading on the Throne, I always liked to thumb through the classes to see if anything struck me before getting down to business of making a new character. I found it a PITA to have to "thumb through" 10-15 page chunks at a time to just see if there was anything about the overall class features (not the details, the highlights) that I liked. It was good once I picked the class and all, but that was just another thing that make the PHB a book that sat on the shelf vs. getting any use.

Remove ads