A Matter of Details (ATTN Farel)

Savael

First Post
A short, stocky man with a gnarled face decorated with a grey, week-old stubble sauntered into the tavern. He tipped the brim of his brown, shapeless hat at Beegee the Bar Golem, ordered himself a mug of spiced ale and then pulled up a worn chair for himself at a table in the middle of the room.

Sitting down with a sigh, he put his hat down on the table, shacking loose a rich mop of grey, matted hair. His dark brown eyes scanned the faces of those present, apparently looking for some sign of recognition.

F

Farel

A figure silently rises from a table in a darkened corner of the bar, his features shadowed by the cowl of his cloak and partially hidden by a strange half-mask. He moves over to the golem and whispers something to it, the reply causing him to nod and move over to the short man. He takes a seat and rests one arm on the table.

"You have need of my services then...?"

Savael

First Post
The short man let his hazel eyes travel up and down the newcomer, taking in any noteworthy details, sizeing him up. He took a swig from his mug, and remained silent for a few moments more, apperantly thinking about something.

"I have no need of your services" he said quietly, his voice dry and rasping, his eyes full of mistrust "But as it so happens, my master does, and he has given me permission to speak for him" He suddenly rose from the table.

"But come good sir, it would not do to discuss our business here. If you would but follow me upstairs, I am certain we could rent a private room upstairs where we could get some privacy" He glanced at the Bar Golem "Isn't that right, Beegee?" The golem nodded silently, it's dull red eyes burning gloomily. The short man shuddered slightly and turned back to his companion, gave him a slight nod, and then proceeded to pick up his hat and move off up the stairs.

(Assuming Farel follows him)

The short man walked up the stairs and continued on down a hallway a few meters before opening a sturdy door on his left. Once inside, he waited until Farel had entered before closing the door behind him. The room beyond the door was sparsely furnitured: a single bed, a dresser of sorts, and a modest table over by the wall with a chair next to it. A single lamp hung from the ceiling, numerous shadows dancing along the wall by the light of it's flickering flame.

Dumping down heavily on the chair, the short man gave a wheezing sigh, his hazel eyes fixed on Farel once more. "My master has need of your services" he said simply, leaving the words to hang in the air for a moment "You wrote that you were an accomplished thief, a man who's skills could be put to use aquiering things that others owned without them knowing of the transaction"

With these words, the short man eyed Farel silently once again for a moment, before continuing "My master had something of his stolen from him some time ago, a book of great personal value. He wants you to bring it back, do you think you can do this?"

F

Farel

Followed the man silently, not bothering with additional words until they were in the privacy of room. As soon as he walked through the door of the room he threw a quick, wary glance about for any possible traps before leaning in a relaxed manner against the wall next to the door.

Once he had heard all there was he spoke in a cool, business like manner, "I have but two questions first, before the fee is arranged. What does this book look like? and how well guarded is it? Should it be required that I must buy certain items to perform this job the cost of said items will be added on to the base fee."

With his piece said, the thief waited patiently for the response

Savael

First Post
Ceptum ab Limus

"The book itself" the small man replied, scratching his cheek absentmindedly "Is rather diminutive in scale, it's about one foot tall, and half a foot wide. It is dark-grey in colour, and should have the words "Ceptum ab Lumis" inscribed on the cover. I think the language is draconic or somesuch" he added in an off-hand manner.

"As for protection. My master suspects that a certain freelance thief such as yourself, named Obollis might be responsible for the theft" the small man almost spat the name, as though it was some sort of curse "Scrying have revealed to us that he hides his flea-ridden hide somewhere amongst the abondened houses along the docks. You'll be doing this job on his home turf, so watch out for any traps or friends of his that might be hanging about"

"As for the matter of payment" the small man rose from his chair, a veary glint in his eyes "I'll be happy to pay for any expenses you might have to make to get the job done as long as it's within bloody reason. So no running around buying expensive magic wands and the like, ye'hear?"

"You won't receive a red copper from the 1000 golders I'm allowed ta give ye for your trouble before you bring me that book. I'll stay here for the next three days - just ask for 'Percev' at the bar - so you'd best be quick about it"

With that, the small man sat down again on the rickety chair, eyeing Farel's masked face suspiciously "Any questions?" he hissed.

F

Farel

Remained quiet for the most part, though he did frown slightly in surprise under his mask at the price...a bit high for such a simple job.

"Near the dockyards you say? It should not be too hard to find him then, sailors will talk quickly after a few pints of beer. And his name may be known about there...if he is a freelancer like myself he is unlikely to have bought anyone to help him...however traps are likely..."

He then look up at the roof in a thoughful way before returning his gaze to the messanger, "Three days is a fine deadline...I cannot be certain I shall get it in time. However you speak of scrying...so your master does do magic. He should be more than a match for any freelancer...so perhaps you would be so kind as to tell me why it is that he doesn't fetch his book back himself?"

Then, added in a negligent way, "And what of the thief, what do you want done with him?"

Savael

First Post
"They say only a thief can track a thief" Percev replied with a chuckle "and if my master believes that it takes one of your caliber to pull this off, then by all means, it is none of my business whom he choses to hire"

"Why my master does what he does is not my to say, I am a simple messenger, nothing more" as though underlining this, Percev gave a short bow of sorts to Farel, perhaps out of habit more than anything else.

"They say that with good pay comes good labour, but wether this is true in your case remains to be seen. You will keep the deadline discussed earlier, or my master will call off this deal and most likely hire someone else to perform the deed. Should you have the book in your possession at the end of the deadline, but choose not to hand it over to me, it is my humble oppinion that a certain amount of... unplesantness will soon be heading your way"

Percev smiled uncertainly at the masked face before him, assuring him without words that he had meant his previous words as a simple warning and not a threat. To Farel's final remark, he added:

"As for Obollis, he is said to have a good singing voice. If you were to make sure he performs with the Celestial Choir soon enough, it would be no skin off my masters back"

F

Farel

The thief let out a thoughful humming noise, toying with a cheap looking ring with the fingers of one gloved hand before he commited himself to words...

"I accept your Job then. Three days hence I shall return to this place with your book if I am succesful," He gave a slight shrug, "If not then I wish my successor more luck then I had."

With that, he turned and headed out, pausing only to look back to memorize Percev's features. "Be warned, this deal is now sealed, should you seek to sneak out of it I can assure you that a plentiful amount of "unpleasantness" will find its way to your doorstep some time in the future. Good day to you."

With that, he left the tavern to begin his job...

Savael

First Post
OoC: Righty'o then Farel, I've started a thread for your convenience on the Map of the Planes boards. It is called "Nightly Endeavours".

I expect to see you post there.

Remove ads