A Mythic Earth

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think in such a fantastical world, the British Isles could have Camelot in Wales, Victorian London, and Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest, all with enclaves of Druidic cults in the woods, and Ireland can be a mix of the old Druidic ways, with High King Brian, and Grainne Mhaol, and an industrialized Dublin.

Alexander74

Villager
I've been playing around with a Mythic Earth setting for a story I'm writing that's based entirely off Greco-Roman mythology, but includes a host of other cultures outside of Europe. Basically the Earth (called Terra) is a flat disk with the sun and moon orbiting it, and it sits between Olympus, an asteroid-like landmass the size of North America that is home to the Olympians, and the Underworld, the realm of the dead that exists on the underside of Terra's disk but is inaccessible to most humans.

The gods of Greek mythology are real and the myths made about them are basically abridged or altered versions of their true stories. Like how Gaia never had the hecatonchires and cyclopes as children, and Ouranos's blood gave rise to humanity, animals and monsters. Monsters in this world have the ability to assimilate the traits of the living organisms they consume and thus evolve, and as they spread out across the world, they became the mythical races we know and love today, from the Americas to the Far East.

I wanted to portray the gods in different ways depending on how cultures outside of Europe perceived them. Like the Olympians being worshipped under different names, powerful demigods being worshipped as gods for their awesome power like in Hyperborea and Japan, or monsters being seen as deities for their magical powers, like in South America and Egypt. I wanted to play around with having Greek Mythology as a core setting but it branches out into other mythologies and stories.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
If you were to create a setting based on the real world's mythology, what would you include?

Julius Caesar is crushing Gaul.
Caesar is not mythical, he is historical. Roman's mostly adopted Greek gods but changed their names. Not sure what they believed in prior to the meeting the Greeks. (I need to research further).

edit: Romulus and Remus are mythical beings

Roman Mythology

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I played a war-game called Broken Legions. In it you have a warband that must fight against unnatural horrors including skeletons, mythical monsters and also fight the troops of other nations. A fun little game.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Caesar is not mythical, he is historical. Roman's mostly adopted Greek gods but changed their names. Not sure what they believed in prior to the meeting the Greeks. (I need to research further).

Roman Mythology
That post was a year ago… to the day.

anyway, a mythic setting can have non-mythical things in it. Like coconuts and badgers and bridges and Julius Caesar. In my mind Caesar is pretty iconic.

Last edited:

25th Dynasty of Egypt under Kush and expand to include when the Kingdom of Axum finally vanquished them. I've been off and on researching this for years as Kush is one of the last great archeological sites still being excavated, started way late compared to others of such magnitude.

From wiki:

Long overshadowed by its more prominent Egyptian neighbor,[archaeological discoveries since the late 20th century have revealed Kush to be an advanced civilization in its own right. The Kushites had their own unique language and script; maintained a complex economy based on trade and industry; mastered archery; and developed a complex, urban society with uniquely high levels of female participation.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
. Roman's mostly adopted Greek gods but changed their names. Not sure what they believed in prior to the meeting the Greeks. (I need to research further).

Roman Mythology

Native Roman religion was animistic and included Ancestor worship and veneration of nature spirits (Nymphs). For most regular (plebian) Roman families it was veneration of the Lares, Manes and Parentes that displayed their faith rather than the formal State sponsored worship of the Olympians.

Romulus and Remus were Lares

That post was a year ago… to the day.

anyway, a mythic setting can have non-mythical things in it. Like coconuts and badgers and bridges and Julius Caesar. In my mind Caesar is pretty iconic.
Yeah I was really suprised to get the alert that someone had commented on this post again :)

Last edited:

Remove ads