• I love 4e and I am not going back to 3.x

Votes: 113 47.9%
  • I love 4e but will still play 3.x

Votes: 47 19.9%
  • I like 4e but still love 3.x more

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • I dislike 4e and own the books, but have not played 4e yet

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • I dislike 4e but have not played or own the books.

Votes: 34 14.4%

Banshee16

First Post
The survey isn't built very well......the questions are somewhat....leading. The cleanest thing would be just to have options for "I love", "I like", "I don't know", "I dislike", and "I hate it". Something along those lines. 3 of the 5 options are positive to one of the two poles in this decision.

In any case, I don't own the books, but have spent a fair bit of time reading them at the home of one of my players, and reading them in the store.

That gives me enough information (in addition to all the previews etc.) to know that it's not really for me. I'm not going to spend $70 on books that I've already looked at elsewhere, and realized that I didn't like it then. It's not like I can return them to the store if I buy them and don't like them. Given I'm the DM, and my reaction to the new game was "meh", I really have no desire to spend time to run it for my players.

That's not to insult the people who like it. If they do, great. I hope they have a great time. But neither I (the DM) or any of the players in my group like it. I think all of us were surprised. We had reservations, admittedly, but I think we were expecting it would win us over, and that our fears were groundless. In this case, they seem to have been well-founded.

I'm of mixed minds....on one hand, I hope people enjoy it and it's successful, as I don't want the game to die. On the other, I kind of want it to fail, in the illogical hope that it would be revised or changed more towards something I like. But it's more likely that if it fails, Hasbro will just put the game on hiatus or something.

Banshee

Agamon

Adventurer
Nightchilde-2 said:
Love 4e and have already sold pretty much all of my 3.x books. ;)

Damn, I'm moving and would love to unload my books, but I have no patience for eBay right now and there's no local stores that would take them. Maybe I should look into charity, I don't need cash, just a loving home...

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I own the books.
I have played the game.
I will be staying with three-five.

No hate here, and no hard feelings either...4th Edition looks solid and WotC seems to have accomplished everything they have set out to do with it. It just isn't my style.

Turanil

First Post
I should stop lurking and posting around. I hate 4e and thus should eventually avoid ENworld. I came here almost every day for years, but now it's finished. An era is gone, and I must leave with it. Maybe I should ask to be banned forever?

Spinachcat

First Post
4e is the best edition FOR ME since B/X. 3e was the worst FOR ME and I am thrilled that WotC producing stuff that I want to buy.

And kids, $70 is chump change. Lay off the twinkies and the soda for a month and buy the books. It will do good for your bookshelf and waistline.

Keltheos

First Post
How about "I'm not in to D&D". Not everyone plays it.

Assume the question starts with "For those of you who play D&D..." and you won't need an option...;)

Where's the 'still haven't decided yet' option?

For me, I like 4e because it's looking to be a LOT less work for the GM to set up adventures and populate them with NPCs/monsters.

I'm down for a good bookfest numbercrunching evening on the couch, but when I'm trying to write up an adventure and barely have a couple hours a week to do it in, I'll take whatever shortcuts preserve story and fun over tedium and paperwork any day.

Remove ads