D&D 5E A new, old-school, high fantasy setting for 5E is coming soon: the Chronicles of Aeres

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I have an odd question I have always seen these big setting projects where on earth do they form? I have never seen to starting stage?

Accaris

Explorer
Publisher
I have an odd question I have always seen these big setting projects where on earth do they form? I have never seen to starting stage?
I started playing D&D in high school 22 years ago. We played in Dragonlance at first (2nd Edition,) but I wanted to make a world more like Middle Earth at the time, because I was reading the SIlmarillion and kind of getting obsessed with it. So that's what I did! I drew a map on printer paper and just started typing out every fantasy idea that came to my head. I shoe-horned all kinds of random stuff into it, like flying continents and snow elves, because I wanted to make it a world where you'd never run out of new things to encounter. (A lot of D&D writers actually point out that this is a common beginner's mistake; it's become a meme that you create this vast world and your players only see 2% of it, ignoring the rest.) So, all this time later, I decided to focus on that 2-5% of my original world that was thematically cohesive, and reinvigorate it into a campaign setting.

G

Guest 6801328

My two cents, I would ignore that criticism. It wasn't particularly constructive, and personally I like the names; in D&D a lot of players like exploring places, ESPECIALLY when they have ridiculous names. Normal D&D is like this; if you look at the Doomvault, it's stuffed with extravagant names!

Your setting won't please every type of player, so lean into the target group you want to appeal to :) .

On the other end of the spectrum, I recently received my copy of Lex Arcana, and while overall it's really high quality (and comes from one of my favorite game designers), the insistence on using Latin-sounding names...presumably for increased flavor...actually makes the book really hard to read. So much so that I haven't actually read much of it. Maybe people whose native language is more directly descended from Latin would have an easier time of it, but I don't.

"Tombspire" and "Shattered Fields" might not meet some readers expectations for originality, but at least they give me a concept to anchor them to.

Accaris

Explorer
Publisher
Looks like, based on hitting our 2nd stretch goal, we'll lock in our pre-planned expansion for the setting, which is a sword & sorcery inspired old school mini setting and adventure. Martin Sobr will be doing the artwork, he's already got one piece for us:
1611059630192.png

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Looks like, based on hitting our 2nd stretch goal, we'll lock in our pre-planned expansion for the setting, which is a sword & sorcery inspired old school mini setting and adventure. Martin Sobr will be doing the artwork, he's already got one piece for us:
View attachment 131559
Why in the name of Frazetta have I never seen this person's art before? They're great! And very Frazetta, which is a requirement for S&S as far as I'm concerned.

Accaris

Explorer
Publisher
I've uploaded a new lore video for you folks about one of the greatest heroes (and villains) of the setting. Only one week left in the kickstarter!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases