A new Planescape record - visiting 7 outer planes in one session

Sammael

Adventurer
Alright, I have to brag about this.

A good friend of mine planned to celebrate her birthday today with a special RPG session that was meant to last 8-10 hours; the DM was going to be another mutual friend, but, due to real-life complications, she had to bail out of it yesterday.

On the spur of the moment, I offered to jump in and run an adventure myself. Since it was going to be a one-off, and I didn't want us to waste time creating characters, that meant pre-gens. I knew that most of the players (birthday girl included) were much more concerned with the story and role-playing than with the rules and tactical combat intricacies. So, what should I run that can be relatively rules-light, yet compelling and story-driven? Planescape, that's what.

I had a grand total of 4 hours to prep for the session. I spent 3 of those 4 hours on pre-generating characters. A lot of that time went into converting various Planescape fluff into feats and special abilities for my own d20 system. Eventually, I had my Sensate Elf Rogue, Dustman Tiefling Bard, and Guvner Githzerai Mage. Oh, and the Clueless Prime Human Fighter (to be played by a guy completely new to RPGs in general).

The remaining hour was spend mapping out the "maze" - a series of interconnected outer planar portals that branched out to every outer plane (save the Outlands). In keeping with the setting flavor and the Rule of Threes, every plane had 3 exit portals. Some of the portals are one-way, and some are two-way. On each plane, the characters had to discover one piece of the portal key for the "main" portal that would let them out of the maze.

I then wrote a single sentence for each plane, meant to describe the location of the key on that plane and the easy way for recovering it.

Believe it or not, the players actually managed to visit 7 of 16 outer planes - Beastlands, Limbo, Arborea, Elysium, Ysgard, Acheron, and the Grey Waste, and they came up with a number of creative and unexpected solutions to the problems I presented (and each plane had a very specific problem, related to the nature of the plane). The play time spent varied from 10 minutes (Elysium) to an hour and a half (Ysgard). But, believe it or not, the time was more than sufficient for them to get a feel of the plane and its inhabitants.

Normally, in a typical session, these same players have difficulty navigating more than 3-4 dungeon rooms due to the constant bickering and inability to reach consensus. For some reason, this was much different - and a huge accomplishment in my eyes. Maybe I should just run Planescape more and worry about the rules less?

Quickleaf

Legend
Maybe I should just run Planescape more and worry about the rules less?
An all around Good Idea. :)

Maybe how smoothly things went is because the goal was super clear to your player and you were steering the game a little stronger as DM for the one-shot?

Anyhow, sounds like a fricking great all day session. Kudos!

Madeiner

First Post
Nice post there.

I am also preparing a Planescape campaign to be run in september.

I'd be interested in the problems you presented on the planes -- i fear the hardest thing for me in planescape will be to correctly describe the different planes and provide challenges that are unique to them.

If you can't/dont want to describe it, any change you could recommend me some good materials for inspiration? I'm already reading the novel "Fire and Dust" and i find it very very good.

Sammael

Adventurer
I can certainly give you the challenges I ran that night, but bear in mind that the session was a one-off and somewhat light-hearted...

Beastlands: I took the players by surprise and transformed them all into thematically-appropriate animals the moment they stepped through the portal. They had to overcome the weaknesses of their new forms and defeat a group of prime hunters who were destroying the forest.

Arborea: They wound up in the middle of an... ahem... party overseen by Dionysius himself and attended by many fey/Greek mythological creatures (satyrs, nymphs, centaurs). They were all there for a series of contests that were to take place the next day - contests of strength, skill, and wit. Winning a contest is usually not a problem for the PCs, but what if they had just spent the night drinking potent spirits?

Elysium - Easiest one, they figured out they could just enlist the aid of the local petitioners to accomplish their goal. Make sure that the petitioners are uncomfortably well-meaning, ready to help, and good natured. In a long-term campaign, I think several sessions could be spent in high-quality paranoia before the party realized they were in Elysium and the NPCs weren't really secretly plotting against them.

Limbo - Emphasize this plane's mutable nature and allow the PCs to bend it to their will. Creativity is the key, and no task is too hard when you can shape anything you may require out of planar essence. Slaadi may appear and attack and then cease the attack for no reason at all. Make sure to never use more than one slaad against on PC (they all wait their turns).

Acheron - the party landed in the middle of no-man's land on a cube contested by orcs and goblins and had to capture the magic banner that was located on the hill between two sides. Individually, orcs and goblins should be weaker than the party; but when there's several thousand of them, and they're out for blood...

Ysgard - What I had here was a typical "viking village" adventure with a neighboring pesky frost giant camp. The leader of frost giants had a magic wand made of an Yggdrasil branch, and the party had to get it. They could try to enlist the vikings for help and a glorious battle, outsmart the giants, or try sneaking in and stealing the (frost giant sized) wand.

Gray Waste - crossing the Styx was a problem here, so they spent some time searching for larvae to pay the marraenoloths. Needless to say, despair nearly overtook them several times, and they barely managed to keep moving. Once they crossed the Styx, to the domain of Hades, they had to put Cerberos to sleep and then steal something he was guarding.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Congratulations on having such a resounding success.

Normally, in a typical session, these same players have difficulty navigating more than 3-4 dungeon rooms due to the constant bickering and inability to reach consensus. For some reason, this was much different - and a huge accomplishment in my eyes. Maybe I should just run Planescape more and worry about the rules less?
It might be worth discussing this further, if you think we could help you figure out how to get this group to bicker less in the future.

Was this all the normal members of the group?
Did they play their normal style of characters?
Or, to shortcut it--what was the difference and could you make it happen again?

Also, did you work out puzzles for the other 9 planes ahead of time, too? If so, do you want to share?

HelloChristian

First Post
In 1994 Planescape and Soundgarden went together for me like chocolate and peanut butter. I plan to re-visit the planes very soon. Thank you for your inspiring post. Seven planes...that is amazing!

Remove ads