• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Paladin and a Cleric are praying to the same god, which is heard from first?

A Paladin and a Cleric are praying to the same god, which is heard from first?

• Cleric is more important

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Paladin is more important

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • They are both equal

Votes: 46 59.7%

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I would assume that any deity worth his salt would hear both at the same time, along with all the other prayers wafting its way...

But I voted "Paladin," here's why:

There are many paths to becoming a cleric. You may feel bestirred to join the clergy by a divine calling; you could think it may be the best way out of your current situation; you may be the second son and thus sent to the church for education (and housing and feeding). Regardless of the path, your main calling is to minister to the flock. In certain cases (more common for PC Clerics), you may be called to bear arms for your faith.

According to most of the RW texts that formed the basis for the class, though, there is one and only one way to become a Paladin: you must be called by the divine to serve it. There may even be consequences for resisting the call. IOW, you've been drafted into your deity's divine army.

While that may be the case for some Clerics, it is the case for ALL Paladins.

Thus, even though a Cleric and Paladin may be heard equally...their requests may be weighted differently.

Rechan

Adventurer
Let's see a paladin call down a miracle, or raise the dead, or summon divine agents of immense power. See there is a small difference in the access granted. Until recently, fluffwise, clerics got more power with less restriction.
So your level of basis is which one gets higher level spells?

Oni

First Post
So your level of basis is which one gets higher level spells?

Like I said, greater access with less restriction. We're talking the measure of divine might a deity is allowing a follower to wield.

I'm thinking about the only way you could put the paladin higher on the totem pole would be some version of the "I'm harder on you because I love you" idea, but I don't buy it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Paladins and Clerics are different "tools" (insert Paladin jokes here) for different jobs.

Is a screwdriver better than a hammer? That depends on if you're hammering, screwing, or sawing...

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Cleric or Paladin, Which is heard First?

Well, there are a few variable factors to consider such as:
  • What service provider are the Cleric and Paladin using?
  • What calling plan do each of them have?
  • And, does the Deity in question have call waiting or not?;)
Seriously though, I don't think the question has anything to do with the relative value or power of the specific Cleric vs. the specific Paladin.

Gods are just that, GODS! Although D&D Gods aren't the Omniscient, Omnipresent, and Omnipotent God of our real world religions, they do have those characteristics in a limited manner. That means, they can hear the multitude prayers of their followers simultaneously. I've always viewed Deities in a manner that the rules of time and space have less meaning to them. In essence, in their pure Godlike form, they are not subject to the constraints of time and space as we mere mortals are. Therefore, I voted "Both Equally".

Now "Avatars" or "Aspects" are a different story entirely!:)

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Well, there are a few variable factors to consider such as:
  • What service provider are the Cleric and Paladin using?
  • What calling plan do each of them have?
  • And, does the Deity in question have call waiting or not?;)

Now "Avatars" or "Aspects" are a different story entirely!:)

Well, you're assuming the call didn't get out sourced to India. "Hello, your patron diety is on vacation this week, before I leave him/her a message, can I verify your account information?" :)

Remove ads