• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Paladin and a Cleric are praying to the same god, which is heard from first?

A Paladin and a Cleric are praying to the same god, which is heard from first?

• Cleric is more important

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Paladin is more important

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • They are both equal

Votes: 46 59.7%

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I dunno, how many ears does the god have and how big they are. I would imagine that Ganesh would have no problem hearing them both simultaneously.

You could go and ask an Athar about it, but I'm sure you would get laughed at.

frankthedm

First Post
From a pre 4E perspective, Cleric, hands down. Shear issue of loyalty. Clerics are instruments of a gods will, where as paladins work for the gods due to coinciding goals. Even a lawful good cleric of a lawful good god can do a few things to benefit his god's goals that may go against their shared alignment. A paladin falls if he does the same.:devil:

AllisterH

First Post
Pre 3E, I always believed it was Paladins since paladins I always saw as being "higher" in the hierachy in the god's eyes.

Paladins were SPECIAL pre 3E and the way I remember was that if a paladin said "jump" to the clergy, the clergy should respond while in mid air, "How high".

(As an aside, this is partly why I never liked the Miko storyline and thought Roy was DAMN wrong when he said "just because you're a paladin, it doesn't mean you get to lord it over us..." Um, Roy, yeah, that's EXACTLY what it meant)

pawsplay

Hero
In the old school, paladins were divinely chosen champions. They would win over anything but a high priest.

New school? Paladins seem to much more common, and more similar to monks, clerics, and cavaliers than to divine emissaries.

AllisterH

First Post
In the old school, paladins were divinely chosen champions. They would win over anything but a high priest.

New school? Paladins seem to much more common, and more similar to monks, clerics, and cavaliers than to divine emissaries.

YES!!

This is what I remember pre 3e. By having the stats requirement be so tough, it meant that paladins were a rarity and as such, it was much more understood that a paladin, was CHOSEN by a god were as a cleric CHOSE a god.

Clearly, the guy who actually got CHOSEN by the deity is going to have the deity's ears. Furthermore, the deity doesn't HAVE that many paladins and presumably replacing one is a very long process for the deity.

Clerics are a dime a dozen....

Remove ads