• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Paladin and a Cleric are praying to the same god, which is heard from first?

A Paladin and a Cleric are praying to the same god, which is heard from first?

• Cleric is more important

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Paladin is more important

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • They are both equal

Votes: 46 59.7%

DM-Rocco

Explorer
"Is this some kind of joke?"

Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it. My friend and I were writing an article about paladins and clerics and he went nuts complaining that clerics are held in a higher regard. So, yes, a joke between my friend and I but a serious matter concerning our content for the article :)

DM-Rocco

Explorer
As an aside, think on this. In 4e, page 60 of the PHB it states, "As a cleric, the deity (or deities) you choose to revere..."

so a paladin has to worship one god but a cleric can worship as many as they like. Now how much does the god like the cleric, lol :)

Ycore Rixle

First Post
The god would answer both simuiltaneously. As far as who holds more favor with the god, I think that depends more on individual deeds and piety, and on the nature of the god, than on class.

robertliguori

First Post
"What? You two? You already have holy powers! Whatever your problem is, deal with it! Do you know how many of my faithful I need to personally keep from dying in the next six seconds because they aren't big impressive heroes like you two? A lot! So about going out and saving some of my faithful and we'll chat again when a bunch of people aren't going to die?"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Let's see a paladin call down a miracle, or raise the dead, or summon divine agents of immense power. See there is a small difference in the access granted. Until recently, fluffwise, clerics got more power with less restriction.

But that's not the Paladin's job. The Paladin's job is putting the blade to the throat of evil as a real and physical manifestation of the god's displeasure...or as the shining beacon of good- the spearpoint at the head of the god's armies. Sometimes, he is the hammer, sometimes the razor.

The Cleric is the forge.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
"What? You two? You already have holy powers! Whatever your problem is, deal with it! Do you know how many of my faithful I need to personally keep from dying in the next six seconds because they aren't big impressive heroes like you two? A lot! So about going out and saving some of my faithful and we'll chat again when a bunch of people aren't going to die?"

lol ;)

Starglim

Explorer
A reasonably important deity has, at minimum, tens of thousands of worshippers, hundreds of clerics and dozens of paladins, most of whom live in the same time zone. For the god to answer prayers at all with sufficient likelihood that people keep bothering to try (real world experience aside), it must be able to answer more than one prayer at once. So the god answers both at the same time.

In the unlikely event that the god had to choose between them, I believe a paladin in good standing would be more favoured, because he follows a stricter code and serves the god's commands more directly than most priests.

It's too easy to sit on the fence with this one.

However, if I had to choose (and from a 3.x perspective), I would say the Cleric. They are entrusted with greater divine power than the paladin and are a more direct spiritual conduit. I think the closest servant to a deity is the Contemplative (Complete Divine) and I suppose it is a more natural fit for the Cleric to become this than the Paladin (although Paladins certainly can become Contemplatives).

Not much in it though.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Remove ads