• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Paladin Shows Mercy to a Priestess of Orcus?

Starman

Adventurer
Ravlek said:
To me it is not about insisting:

From dictionary.com

association

1. The act of associating or the state of being associated.

associate
v. associated, associating, associates
1. To join as a partner, ally, or friend.

The paladin is associating with the priestess.

Some good idea's in the rest of your post. :)

Sometimes, just sometimes, a strict adherence to the rules can get in the way of a good story. When that happens, jettison the rules.

Starman

Ravlek

First Post
Starman said:
Sometimes, just sometimes, a strict adherence to the rules can get in the way of a good story. When that happens, jettison the rules.

Starman

I thought I made that point earlier.
From post #8 (my fourth post in the thread)

"If the priestess changes alignment, there is no problem. If the player of the paladin RP's trying to redeem the priestess, I wouldn't worry about the RAW."

Starman

Adventurer
Ravlek said:
I thought I made that point earlier.
From post #8 (my fourth post in the thread)

"If the priestess changes alignment, there is no problem. If the player of the paladin RP's trying to redeem the priestess, I wouldn't worry about the RAW."

:heh: Well, that's what you get when you skim a thread too quickly. I thought someone else said it.

Starman

Ravlek

First Post
I am actually hoping something like this happens in my latest campaign. I'm using Planescape as the setting and one player is running a paladin. Sons of Mercy faction anyone? :)

Edit: Good chance to thank all the great people at planewalker.com for their work! :D

Last edited:

Thotas

First Post
I think the phrase we're looking for to describe the type of "association" between the paladin and the priestess is "in custody". The paladin has offered the priestess a chance to avoid death, but other punishments, from what we're told, are not yet ruled out. For that matter, The Proper Authorities may in the end decide it's a case wherein death can only be delayed, depending on far too many campaign world details to speculate on here. I agree with those who've said it's good roleplaying with great possibilities for the plot. Congrats all around on what sounds like that precious rarity -- a really good high-power game!

sword-dancer

Explorer
Thotas said:
For that matter, The Proper Authorities may in the end decide it's a case wherein death can only be delayed, depending on far too many campaign world details to speculate on here.
The Paladin had given her mercy for service, which mean`t the "proper authorties" have nothing to say about it.

dmjeffk

First Post
Interesting turn of events. Keep a close eye on the Paladin to see what direction the interaction takes.

Trying to redeem an evil foe is a good act and would be in keeping with the Paladin's alignment and vows.

Keeping the foe around as an unwilling servant is slavery which in many D&D cultures is considered an evil act. This should present severe conflicts with the PC's alignment and paladin vows.

I don't think association comes into play at all. Idisagree with Ravlek's conclusion that the "The paladin is associating with the priestess". The definition he provided states an associate is a partner, ally, or friend. The master/servant relationship means they are not equal partners, the priestess is likely trying to screw them at the first opportunity (hardly an ally), and there is no friendship in the relationship.

The bottom line is how the PC plays it. If the paladin makes significant effort to redeem the evil priestess, that will be in keeping with the characters vows and alignment. It will lead some great roleplaying opportunities and also give you lots of interesting plot hooks. If the player merely uses the captured foe as a slave/servant, there should be serious consequences for violating alignment/vows.

Ravlek

First Post
sword-dancer said:
The Paladin had given her mercy for service, which mean`t the "proper authorties" have nothing to say about it.

Now that is an interesting viewpoint.

Going to play devil's advocate here. If the proper authorities demand, lawfully, that the priestess be turned over, and the paladin refuses, then she is violating the code.

On the gripping hand, if she does turn her over, she is violating the code (personal honor).

Ouch.

The Book of Exalted Deeds addresses this type of scenario. If the paladin is trying to redeem the priestess, there's nothing wrong with that. It wouldn't result in the paladin losing her status. Redeeming evil creatures would be impossible if you couldn't associate with them on any level. Associate is probably the wrong word to use, btw.

HOWEVER, if the paladin's player is just trying to gain the benefits of having a cleric to boss around, that's a different story. But I didn't get that impression from what was written. She needs to be careful to actively try to redeem the priestess and not just let her tag along as a "minion" or slave.

Of course, we all know what's more than likely going to occur. That paladin better sleep with one eye open! ;)

Thotas

First Post
Which is why half of the sentence quoted was "... depending on far too many campaign world details to speculate on here."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads