D&D 5E A Peek At Witchlight's WARDUKE!

We've known for a while that next month's Wild Beyond the Witchlight features a number of 80s D&D characters, including Warduke the evil fighter. We now have a clear view of what he looks like in his 5E incarnation! https://www.enworld.org/threads/two-new-d-d-books-revealed-feywild-strixhaven-mage-school.680500/...

We've known for a while that next month's Wild Beyond the Witchlight features a number of 80s D&D characters, including Warduke the evil fighter. We now have a clear view of what he looks like in his 5E incarnation!

5B8DD1D7-C8B2-4642-AF6F-81965656E1C8.jpeg

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Danny Downer here.

Not to be a naysayer but there's a line between "outfit designed to strike fear in the enemy" and "trying too hard." And this is a skosh over that line.

Like, I get that he's big and powerful but does he need a miniature fanny pack version of the horned skull from his shield? It's not as bad as, say, Apocalypse running around with an "A" belt buckle but it's definitely in Serpentor territory.

darjr

I crit!
Danny Downer here.

Not to be a naysayer but there's a line between "outfit designed to strike fear in the enemy" and "trying too hard." And this is a skosh over that line.

Like, I get that he's big and powerful but does he need a miniature fanny pack version of the horned skull from his shield? It's not as bad as, say, Apocalypse running around with an "A" belt buckle but it's definitely in Serpentor territory.
Wait. I thought the funny over the line thing was part of the point?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
This art is freaking awesome. I love 5e's art so much.

I'm excited to see his stats. I personally am wondering if they do what Waterdeep: Dragon Heist did, and reprint some of the Humanoid NPC Stat Blocks from Volo's Guide to Monster, but make slight changes to fit more specific NPCs (I could see Warduke being a Warlord with an added Flametongue and maybe some magical armor or a shield).

I'm personally very intrigued to see how the players can deal with him in a non-combat way. (Maybe it'll be similar to how you can deal with Arkhan the Cruel in Descent into Avernus. . .)

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
This art is freaking awesome. I love 5e's art so much.

I'm excited to see his stats. I personally am wondering if they do what Waterdeep: Dragon Heist did, and reprint some of the Humanoid NPC Stat Blocks from Volo's Guide to Monster, but make slight changes to fit more specific NPCs (I could see Warduke being a Warlord with an added Flametongue and maybe some magical armor or a shield).

I'm personally very intrigued to see how the players can deal with him in a non-combat way. (Maybe it'll be similar to how you can deal with Arkhan the Cruel in Descent into Avernus. . .)

I'm guessing they'll give him a unique stat block, that's been the pattern for the past 3 years I think.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm guessing they'll give him a unique stat block, that's been the pattern for the past 3 years I think.
Either Dungeon or Dragon magazine (I think Dungeon) gave his 3E stats, and I’ve noticed Dragonbait’s statblock in Tomb of Annihilation, so I can certainly see him getting a statblock (and probably an encounter!) in Witchlight - though that might be at odds with the “can complete the adventure without combat” statement for the adventure.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I do hope that his stats are closer to the original than the epic-level Dungeon version. I always thought that version was a bit gratuitous.

Remove ads

Remove ads