A problem with the miniatures industry.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
It's pop culture in general. I've been bothered by this for a while. Just look at movies. How many times do you have an older, average or less-than-attractive male in a role, but all female roles are very attractive? Just compare male scientists with female scientists as they appear in film. Or look at couples.
It's not only in pop culture. Maybe it's because in Italy sexism is even more rampant, but I see far too often comments about the look (and the dress style) of female politicians, journalists, scientists, etc.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's not only in pop culture. Maybe it's because in Italy sexism is even more rampant, but I see far too often comments about the look (and the dress style) of female politicians, journalists, scientists, etc.
My partner lived in Italy with her then-boyfriend (an Italian citizen) in her 20s in the 90s. She worked at a company making clothing patterns. She is pretty stubborn, and one day her boss called in her boyfriend to tell him to get her in line. Can you imagine that happening at a US company? I can't.

aramis erak

Legend
Equating finding minis for "fat and old people" to finding minis for queer or gender neutral folks is insulting. Fantasy gaming is usually aspirational, and most of us like to imagine our heroic characters are fit and, well, heroic. Which has zero to do with our own or our characters gender orientation. Besides, there are plenty of old wizard minis and if you paint your fighter's hair grey . . .

There is also a lot of assumptions that gender neutral minis would not sell. I'd love to see some actual data on that, as I doubt it's true at all.
of my last three monk characters, 2 have been corpulent.

Putting words in others' mouths is bad in general. worse when making cladistic statements.

A number of games have randomized height/weight as well...

MGibster

Legend
Not to sound flippant but....learn to convert models.
That can be quite an investment for some people who might not find the prospect of converting miniatures to be fun. I've been painting and modeling for a long while, and I rarely do any conversions more complicated that switching weapons.
gotta ask, did you even read my OP I made 2 years ago. Or the one I just made? I'm not sure why you keep repeating this. It's about what others want, not just me. I'm a straight white guy in good shape.
I'm with you. I'd certainly like a greater variety of body types in my miniatures. The good news is that there are more miniatures available these days than ever before. It's still not easy to hunt them all down, but between 3D printing and places like Etsy, almost anyone can find something that interests them.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
My partner lived in Italy with her then-boyfriend (an Italian citizen) in her 20s in the 90s. She worked at a company making clothing patterns. She is pretty stubborn, and one day her boss called in her boyfriend to tell him to get her in line. Can you imagine that happening at a US company? I can't.
This sounds egregious even for Italy and even for the 90s, but it is indisputable that we are still lagging quite behind on the matters of inclusion and gender equality.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This sounds egregious even for Italy and even for the 90s, but it is indisputable that we are still lagging quite behind on the matters of inclusion and gender equality.
If it matters, this was near Calabria. I'm guessing Italy is like every other country where regional areas are much different in the accepted sensibilities for that area.

Remove ads