A question about swords

Michael Dean

Explorer
I've read a lot of fantasy and sword & sorcery books over the years and I've never seen this issue really addressed all that much. We've all read the description of the sword/katana/sharp pointy stick being honed to a razor sharp edge. So, what happens the first time you strike something hard with it? Doesn't it get huge notches knocked out of it, or at least dinged up? Wouldn't that make the blade useless after a couple of combats, if even that many? I can't imagine simply using a wet stone would be the cure for that, but maybe I'm completely wrong about that. Can anybody clue me in on the care and feeding of swords?

serraphin

First Post
IRL I fear the answer all depended very much on exactly what weapon you were using. Katanas, as a great favourite the world over, were not used in the way that western swords were - and ergo reacted differently to a good clout.

Although very strong (due to the process of manufacture) a katana was used almost like a rapier in a duel. Swords would barely touch, and and nicks would be carefully buffed out after combat.

Two Handed swords (Greatsword is prolly the closest in DnD terms) were actually blunt weapons :) A manual was uncovered not long back from crusade days, that was a training book for using the greatsword and involved such manuevers as 'gripping the blade' to slam the sword into an enemies face. This was probably as likely to 'nick' and chip as a katana, but it mattered a little less.

Swords that you want to keep sharp - katanas, rapiers, short-swords - would require constant care. Sharpening and cleaning (if you ever get to hold and admire a true to goodness n century samurai's katana don't breathe on it! ) would have been a daily routine.

As for the 'when you stirke something hard with it' query - again each sword was made for its field :) Eastern weapons were ideal against eastern armour - which was often made of laquered plates, or laquer and mail. The blades were sharp enough to 'slice' through this armour with barely a scratch.

Western armour, of course, was the equivalent of todays main battle tanks. Bolts/arrows could puncture them, but cutting through them was a bloody nightmare. Hence two handed swords actually being blunt crushing weapons (and the invention of the lance), it was far easier to bludgeon that full plate into your opponent than to cut through it into your opponent.

Hope that gives you a bit of an idea, but - I fear - each weapon has it's own uses and reactions to a good smacking. You may have to look up the specifics.

Michael Dean

Explorer
Thanks for the info. So what about your typical western broadsword or longsword? Were they just not used for parry and slash like I've always assumed (or romanticized), or were the nicks in the blade able to be worked out after battle?

Thanks,
Michael

Rpjunkie

First Post
It's not like every fighter went around in plate. Most soldiers in wars didnt even own anything but leather if that. So swords being dulled wasnt a huge issue. Armour was just too expensive and only the rich had it.

RPJ

Another illustration of the difference in style serraphin is talkimng about arises from the famous (though probbaly apocryphal) story of a meeting between Richard the Lionheart and Saladin.

To demonstrate the sharpness and efficacy of his scimitar, Saladin threw a piece of silk into the air, and as it floated to ground cut it in two.

Richard had to admit his longsword couldn't do that but ... he placed a helm on top of a wooden post, and with his sword cleaved the helm in half and buried the sword a foot into the post.

Sharpness isn't everything ...

Sejs

First Post
The long and short of it is, yes the blade does get dings, nicks and burrs along its length thru use though it's a far cry from making the weapon useless. A weapon won't retain a pristine razor edge for long once you start hitting guys with it, but that's okay - it doesn't need to be super sharp in order to do its job, just sharp enough. Huge notches don't normally get knocked out of the blade except in rare circumstances. A hit that would slap a wedge out of the blade like that doesn't usually get the chance to transfer all its force into the weapon because the weapon isn't massive enough to resist just being moved by said force.

As for care and feeding, a whetstone, some oil, and a good degree of elbow grease goes a long way. That's one of the things that's rarely depicted in popular media when they show a guy sharpening a blade; if you want the job to actually get done you need to put a little bit of effort into it.

Captain Tagon

First Post
Michael Dean said:
Thanks for the info. So what about your typical western broadsword or longsword? Were they just not used for parry and slash like I've always assumed (or romanticized), or were the nicks in the blade able to be worked out after battle?

Thanks,
Michael

First off there was no such thing as a broadsword. It is a later term that covers a wide variety of different swords from different eras.

Second, swords were used to parry other swords. However, this was more of a slapping the flat against his flat instead of meeting it edge on edge.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Michael Dean said:
I've read a lot of fantasy and sword & sorcery books over the years and I've never seen this issue really addressed all that much. We've all read the description of the sword/katana/sharp pointy stick being honed to a razor sharp edge. So, what happens the first time you strike something hard with it? Doesn't it get huge notches knocked out of it, or at least dinged up? Wouldn't that make the blade useless after a couple of combats, if even that many? I can't imagine simply using a wet stone would be the cure for that, but maybe I'm completely wrong about that. Can anybody clue me in on the care and feeding of swords?
Almost the same as you would with kitchen knives. You should wipe your sword down after every battle of blood, water, and whatnot to minize the rusting process. If it gets dinged ... like I have using a kitchen knife to split bones, get a course whetsone to grind the ding away, and use smoother whetstone to hone the edge finely sharp. If you're already to the fuller, better to get a new sword.

Of course, in games like D&D that doesn't track weapon's HP like most CRPGs, you don't need to worry much, and it is assumed you take care of your weapon as you would with your body, if not moreso in a typical medieval culture.

Remove ads