D&D General A Question about Waterdeep - Where does the Drinking Water come from?

ECMO3

Hero
This is a huge problem though for a city that's (mostly) on sea level, any water in a well would likely be salt water.

If you dig behind the first dune you will generally find freshwater when you hit the water table. I don't know why this is the case, maybe the dirt filters the salt, but I do know it is the case. You can even do this to get fresh water on small islands in the middle of the ocean.

Hussar

Legend
If you dig behind the first dune you will generally find freshwater when you hit the water table. I don't know why this is the case, maybe the dirt filters the salt, but I do know it is the case. You can even do this to get fresh water on small islands in the middle of the ocean.

But we know the water table is about 200 feet down because that’s the Sargauth. And Halaster kills anyone who tries to tunnel down.

I think the issue here is Waterdeep has not been portrayed consistently over the years. Since it's pretty much the oldest continuously occupied city in D&D, that's probably not surprising. In particular, the artwork portrays it as steep and rugged, but maps often flatten it out. I think it's mostly a case of it being easier to draw maps if you make it flatter. In another thread I commented on a model of the Roman settlement of Deva, which made it pretty much flat and at water level. Something that I know, being familiar with the modern city of Chester, simply is not true. It's a cartographer's fiction.

Generally, if your issue is with Waterdeep being flat and at sea level, I would say that the correct conclusion to draw is your map is wrong, not that the city is wrong.

Oh, and BTW, my first job was "Trainee Cartographer"!

Last edited:

That picture is actually pretty close to what I think Waterdeep actually looks like,
That's why I picked it, it appears to match the map quite closely. Which highlights the real problem - population. Llandudno is a small town, with a population of less than 20,000. Waterdeep supposedly has a population 100 times larger.

Although 20,000 would be about right for a medieval city.

NB, if you want to get a sense of scale, the Great Orme is around 600 ft. And rather than being the home of a mad wizard, is the source of mad goats that are attacking the town.

LordBP

Explorer
If you go by the topo map I posted, the city starts at sea level in the harbor and as it goes north, rises to at least 100 feet, but not more than 200 (due to the topo lines and cliffs of Mount Waterdeep), then going back down to 100 feet at the NorthGate. The WestGate goes down to sea level fairly fast (though there is no scale on the map, so it may be off).

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I could see water supply in a metropolis the size of Waterdeep to be a mix of water well from souce in the Underdark, magic spell creating fresh water such as Create Food and Water or that desalinate seawater how, magic item like Decanter of Endless Water etc..

Hussar

Legend
As I said, this has really inspired my thinking. The stolen treasury was meant for a system of aqueducts. I’m dropping hints and thoughts in play about how people are grilymbling about the crap drinking water and the broadsheets are beginning to wonder why all this surveying was done but then nothing has happened. The council isn’t making it public knowledge that the money is gone - people know that Neverember stole money but not the scale of the theft.

This also places things in a different light. The Xanathar wants the money to go back to the city because it wants to profit from the construction contracts, Mafioso style. The Zhents actually sort of agree but they want to be on top with similar schemes. Manshoon wants the money to buy his way onto the council. Not going to use Braegen D’arth (sp) for this.

Makes for lots of politics. Getting a whole Chinatown vibe out of this.

Loving it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Off topic, but this is reminding me that one of these days I'm going to need to compile all of my notes for a version of Dragon Heist set in post-Faction War Sigil...
I’ve been ruminating on a version where the Lords Alliance has become an actual ruling body of idiots with inherited titles across the Sword Coast and The North, and it’s time for a revolution, not only against them but also against the aristocracy en masse.

Figuring out who in my circles would be excited for that premise, and how exactly to set it up.

Remove ads