• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question on Shade powers

Perrin

First Post
I was wondering how do you guys handle shadow stride. Do you allow your shade pc to appear anywhere in the 300 feet range even if she/he has not been to that area before? or cna she/he only go to places that she/he has seen and knows about?

Also how do you handle the shades ability to darken 100 feet around itself after the shade reaches 10th lvl and gets 100% reduction inn light. Do you treat it as night time or as a deeper darkness effect and can that effect be dispeled by daylight or dispel magic?

TIA

Last edited:

dkilgo

First Post
Perrin said:
I was wondering how do you guys handle shadow stride. Do you allow your shade pc to appear anywhere in the 300 feet range even if she/he has not been to that area before? or cna she/he only go to places that she/he has seen and knows about?

The FRCS states with Shadow Stride the character could vanish from his/her current location, and appear in ANY shadowy location within 300 feet. He/She could do this once every 2 rounds as a move equivalent action.

That's how I would play it.

Also how do you handle the shades ability to darken 100 feet around itself after the shade reaches 10th lvl and gets 100% reduction inn light. Do you treat it as night time or as a deeper darkness effect and can that effect be dispeled by daylight or dispel magic?

It is a spell-like ability. So, hence, it can be dispelled. I believe in dispelling it he could just do it again the following round.

I wouldn't treat it as deeper darkness, but as total darkness. As if the character was out on a moonless cloudy night in the middle of an empty field.

I would think that it could be countered by Daylight, the spell, but once again he could effect the following round.

He could do this as many times as he wanted because the text in the FRCS does not state that he has any restrictions on useage. The errata also does not state that either.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: A question on Shade powers

dkilgo said:
I would think that it could be countered by Daylight, the spell, but once again he could effect the following round.

There is one caveat. Daylight counters darkness spells of equal or lesser level. Spell-like abilities can't be counterspelled, but AFAIK, they can be negated. If you determine that the Shade's Control Light ability is of greater level than Daylight, and if you determine that it isn't a darkness effect, then the daylight spell won't have any effect.

However, if you determine that the Shade's Control Light abilities is of equal level or less than the Daylight spell, and if you determine that it's a darkness effect, then as long as the Daylight spell is active, it will negate the Shade's Control Light ability throughout the daylight spell's duration.

IMO, Daylight would negate Control Light.

dkilgo

First Post
I forgot about it possibly negating it.

But, wouldn't the Contorl light ability still effect the light of a Daylight spell reguardless of duration?

The Control Light ability does not state how often the character could manage to use this ability. But, I am thinking because it is a spell-like ability he could use it as a standard action the following round to reduce the light generated by the Day light spell. I might be wrong, but that is the way I am reading this, and there is nothing contradicting me in the errata. Is my understanding of how spell-like abilities flawed? Possibly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads