A rant on retro clones...

ancientvaults

Explorer
I am one of those heartless people that suggest the retro clones!
Why? Because not everyone has the old books (a surprising number of young people are into oldschool gaming nowdays), the rules are more streamlined (is that wrong?) and not everyone wants to put more wear and tear on their original books and modules (I know I don't). It is strange that when people are trying to be helpful some people find that annoying.

Oh, I know that we don't have those fancy new cards to flash about like you 4ers do. And we are all very jealous about that, too. Not.:p

Wik

First Post
Why? Because not everyone has the old books (a surprising number of young people are into oldschool gaming nowdays), the rules are more streamlined (is that wrong?) and not everyone wants to put more wear and tear on their original books and modules (I know I don't). It is strange that when people are trying to be helpful some people find that annoying.

Oh, I know that we don't have those fancy new cards to flash about like you 4ers do. And we are all very jealous about that, too. Not.:p

Okay, so when you suggest the retro clone, mention those reasons. There, problem solved. If you did those things, you're not included in my initial rant.

And it's really not all that strange that when you try to be helpful, someone else will find it annoying. I'm a first aider/nurse in training, it's pretty much my life story.

However, let's not turn this into an "edition war', especially since there's absolutely no reason to do that. I don't know how 4e ever came into the discussion on retro clones. Maybe you want to suggest that 4e is a retro clone of WOW? But let's not have *that* discussion for the umpteenth time. :)

oldgamergeek

First Post
I would also like to mention Stars Without Number, which is excellent!
I play retro clones, original games, new games, but this one just ROCKS! I have spent cash money on games that are nowhere near as good as this one,do yourself a solid and download this game the pdf is free so you really can't lose anything.

Last edited:

ancientvaults

Explorer
Okay, so when you suggest the retro clone, mention those reasons. There, problem solved. If you did those things, you're not included in my initial rant.

And it's really not all that strange that when you try to be helpful, someone else will find it annoying. I'm a first aider/nurse in training, it's pretty much my life story.

However, let's not turn this into an "edition war', especially since there's absolutely no reason to do that. I don't know how 4e ever came into the discussion on retro clones. Maybe you want to suggest that 4e is a retro clone of WOW? But let's not have *that* discussion for the umpteenth time. :)

I actually used the tongue out icon to make the last comment look as inoffensive as possible. If you read my posts here and elsewhere, I am a very staunch "non-edition wars" person (I even have the little symbol on my blog). I totally believe that ANY edition of a game that you and your players enjoy is the correct one. We tried 4e and it wasn't our cup of tea and that is fine. I also run Pathfinder (among other rpgs), but then, that is a retro-clone too, just a really fancy one.

Wik

First Post
I actually used the tongue out icon to make the last comment look as inoffensive as possible. If you read my posts here and elsewhere, I am a very staunch "non-edition wars" person (I even have the little symbol on my blog). I totally believe that ANY edition of a game that you and your players enjoy is the correct one. We tried 4e and it wasn't our cup of tea and that is fine. I also run Pathfinder (among other rpgs), but then, that is a retro-clone too, just a really fancy one.

Well then, another case of the internet garbling communication! No worries. :)

For what it's worth, I'm actually a big fan of retro clones of all colours. I really just have a problem understanding why they get mentioned as a preference when I already own the original. I know you say the clones are more streamlined, but I don't think the difference between a clone and any BECMI book is really that noticeable, except for maybe the Red Box DM's guide, which is pretty poorly organized for actual play.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Well then, another case of the internet garbling communication! No worries. :)

For what it's worth, I'm actually a big fan of retro clones of all colours. I really just have a problem understanding why they get mentioned as a preference when I already own the original. I know you say the clones are more streamlined, but I don't think the difference between a clone and any BECMI book is really that noticeable, except for maybe the Red Box DM's guide, which is pretty poorly organized for actual play.

Well, in your other thread, you did ask for house rules that could be applied to BECMI to make it more streamlined. I hope I didn't offend by suggesting E&E. It's a setting and not a retro-clone, but I offered the link so that you could look at house rulesy parts that might've been up your alley.

Wik

First Post
ha, it's all good man. As I've stated at the start of this thread, I was really just having a bad day. It's such a tiny gripe that's been turned into a mountain from a molehill. It wasn't like I was compiling a "list" or anything of people that had somehow annoyed me. :)

ancientvaults

Explorer
Maybe you see them mentioned so much because there are a plethora of them. I believe that the retro-clone market is becoming oversaturated with sets of rules for fantasy and science fiction games and should start focusing on adventures and other accessories for the games. If three people each like one fantasy simulacrum, for example, you are going to see three different posts that more or less point to the same idea.

Dice4Hire

First Post

You should try 4E.

Remove ads