A rant on retro clones...

Corinth

First Post
I recommend retro-clones to folks who like or prefer older D&D editions, but can't get them anymore for one reason or another, such as Dark Dungeons for the RC/BECMI fans. I don't offer them right away to others, instead steering them to products more to their preferred taste if such exists.

Whisper72

Explorer
I recommend retro clones for all your survival needs. Cheaper then real clones, clinically tested to be just as effective... Just ask the computer... They are not only cheaper, but more loyal to the computer as well... Try them out now from the nearest testing facility with your clearence level...

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I recommend retro clones for all your survival needs. Cheaper then real clones, clinically tested to be just as effective... Just ask the computer... They are not only cheaper, but more loyal to the computer as well... Try them out now from the nearest testing facility with your clearence level...

Happiness Is Mandatory!

(BTW, Wik, you should totally play some Paranoia. It's AWESOME! ;))

JeffB

Legend
Wik, thanks to this thread, from now on I will be sure to avoid mentioning retro-clones- as I can see why it may irritate some.

Instead I will mention Spellcraft & Swordplay which is not a clone, but a retro-style game. You can find it HERE

Thank you for your time.

:D

I kid, of course (but it IS a danged cool game)

Festivus

First Post
Just a thought here, that people refer to the retro clones (I am probably guilty here too -- shout out to my fave Basic Fantasy), but it's the only familiar base they have to go on.

I used to play basic D&D waaay back when, but found it difficult to talk to or play in anyone other game without a notebook of houserules to review. I find that many of these retro clones clean up ambiguity in the rules a bit too. It's the same game but totally different depending on your experiences in the past with it.

Some may feel it's better to just convince someone to move to their ideal ruleset then try to grapple with how you interpret the rules for OD&D.

Totally non-helpful post here, but I needed a way to mention a retroclone :)

Remove ads