A rant on retro clones...

GQuail

Explorer
I feel the OP's pain, even though I haven't encountered the exact problem in question. You definitely do get some people who don't read the question in the OP and obviously have a pre-built answer and times where, when you see a thread's title you can guess how it will go - or when a specific user pops up, you can guess almost word for word what they'll write that'll be OT. :) (But then, that's what the ignore list is for...)

While retroclones have a lot to offer as an aid to existing owners (I used OSRIC as an electronic aid when I was char-genning for AD&D at my work at lunch time once) I am equally confused why someone would say "Play RetroCloneX" instead, though. Telling them they might be interested in reading it is one thing or recommending it as an additional source of player books.... but then, that's not what the OP is talking about so much.

It's more overt on RPG.Net with the "Savage Worlds/FATE/Whatever the in game this month" is (I had a thread about Star Trek once where a poster contacted me via my blog to apologise for how useless everyone else was ;-) ) but you can run into it anywhere. Sometimes people really want to help and, because they've had good experiences with X, can't stop telling people how good X is. The Character Builder example is probably a good one too - I think it's a cool piece of kit but I know some people just don't like genning characters except with paper & pen and for those people constantly pimping it as "the solution to all your 4E woes" must grate.

Remove ads