A Realization (maybe an epiphany?) about D&D

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I think the complexity is all right for players (at least until you get to high-level spellcasters).

However, writing up high-level NPCs, and especially high-level spellcasters, is too much of a chore.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Talath said:
Anyway, how many people feel that now, years after 3e is out, that maybe its either the right or the wrong game for D&D?

Since AD&D came out, the game has been rules-heavy. So, it seems to me that a rules-heavy system is the right one for D&D now.

Which is not to say that all pseudo-medieval fantasy needs to be rules-heavy, but it is the natural choice for D&D, specifically.

twofalls

DM Beadle
This thread (the entry post) sounds a bit like a trust issue to me. Correct me if I'm wrong please. I've been running my two current groups for years, and we have consistently had a good time with the campaigns we have shared. My players will basically play in any game I ask them too because they trust me to run a good story. They realize that I'm not "out to get them" and that sometimes for speed and to keep a scene running smoothing I'll play loose and fast with the rules.

I have a rules lawyer in my Kingdoms of Kalamar game who once called me on how I was running a grapple stating that it wasn't the way the rules said it was supposed to work. I just looked at him and told him that this was the way it was working this time and asked him if he had an issue with that. He obviously did, but quieted down and the game went on. He will eventually either come to trust me or will leave the game, I think the former is more likely.

I think that the rules present an expectation of how things work in the minds of players and a consistent feel for the game, and for the most part they should be followed. However, if your game is getting bogged down with rule considerations during play, hang them and go with the flow. If your players don't trust you to be fair about it ask them why.

Breakdaddy

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
You know, I just came to a realization (maybe an epiphany?) about D&D.

Too many people whining.

If people stopped "whining" then you would have nothing to whine about and those long days spent in your parents basement would be boring :]

The_Universe

First Post
It's the "rightest" D&D game I've ever played, and the only one I've really enjoyed. I've played previous editions and dabbled in "rules light" versions and come to the realization that D&D 3.x (and D20 as a whole) has about the level of complexity/simplicity that will maximize my enjoyment of a roleplaying game.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that for me, D&D in its current incarnation is just right.

Goblyn

Explorer
Breakdaddy said:
If people stopped "whining" then you would have nothing to whine about and those long days spent in your parents basement would be boring :]

Actually, one would probably find that long-lost feeling of 1e nostalgia before there was an internet full of people questioning every little thing, most of which you never even wondered about.

Thinking back on those '1e feel' and such threads with respect to this one, I think that is the difference between the old school experiences and the new ones: the only opinions that even existed were the ones of those you played with.

Just some bemused observations.

Quasqueton

First Post
Dungeons & Dragons [current edition] is the one true game. All previous editions were just attempts to achieve this level of excellence.

OldD&D ain't even a game system is all I'm saying...

Quasqueton

Psion

Adventurer
Quasqueton said:
Dungeons & Dragons [current edition] is the one true game. All previous editions were just attempts to achieve this level of excellence.

OldD&D ain't even a game system is all I'm saying...

Ah, a new generation.

I feel like I am back in the Late edition wars forum on Dragonsfoot.

Remove ads