A Simple Errand (DM:renau1g, Judge: covaithe)

Reklaw

First Post
Rrek grins at Jax, rare humor showing in his expression. "Thanks little one, but there are things that have been set in motion here and need to be taken care of. Be silent and may the gold flow freely for you"

Turning to each party member he offers them a farewell also.

To Dorn, "Good luck understanding your new nature, have faith in yourself. You are stronger than you know."

To Ingot, "Thank you again for your healing, you do your god a great service. Good luck in your search."

To Crag, "Your friends are blessed to have your protection, and so is this earth. I was honored to serve with you."

With this Rrek turns and enters the portal.

Kalidrev

First Post
Crag nods solemnly to Rrek, appreciating the compliment.

"Perhaps we will meet again. Until then, may the earth remain steady under your feet and may the spirits of nature protect you."

renau1g

First Post
After Rrek enters, the two scale armored gith walk through, then the plate-armored one turns to the rest of you. "You've aided an enemy of ours and you shall pay for that. I cannot stay, urgent...business with Rrek requires my attention, but I brought a friend for you to play with" as he steps through the portal, a large dragon comes through the portal, it's sandy brown scales are dull in the afternoon sun. Bits of sand falls from its wings as it shakes them out. "Ahhh...new food to tassste" it growls looking at you hungrily, it's eyes lock on Jax, "You look to be the mossst tasssty" it's tongue flicks out, but the kobold reacts quicker.

[sblock=Reklaw]
Finch was asked by a local apothecary to travel all the way out here to the seemingly middle of nowhere to collect some damnable herb that she offered him a handful of gold pieces and, more importantly, access to her library and some of her exquisite herbal tea. Having picked up the items she requested, Finch was walking back to Daunton when you heard a thunderclap and strange glowing light about 100' away. You arrive just in time to see some odd, heavily armed humanoids go into a glowing portal and see a dragon come out as they enter. There is a pair of warforged, a kobold and a half-orc that the creature seems to be threatening. They look like they may be over-matched with just the 4 of them.

ooc - this is not the best fight for the dual-wielding fighter....sorry :], oh just noted that Finch has a reflex score of 26 in his summary, likely a typo ;)
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
Alright, let's do this.

Initiative:
Finch - 21 <- you're up
Jax - 20
Dragon - 14
Dorn - 9
Ingot - 8
Crag - 5

init (Jax, Ingot, Crag, Dorn, Finch, dragon) (1d20 5=20, 1d20 0=8, 1d20 1=5, 1d20 8=9, 1d20 5=21, 1d20 7=14)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Reklaw

First Post
Cover?

//Is that rock at N/O-25 providing the dragon with cover? And no he's just unnaturally reflexive... thanks for catching that;)//

[sblock=Finch's Stat Block]
Finch, Bugbear Fighter 2
Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11
AC 19, Fort 18, Reflex 16, Will 11 (base defenses)
HP 31/31 Bloodied 15, Surge Value 7, Surges 9/9
Speed 6, Initiative +5
Action Points: 1

Basic Melee Attack +10 vs AC(+14 with opportunity attacks) 1d8+8 damage

Basic Ranged Attack +7 vs AC(+11 with opportunity attacks) 1d8+4 damage

At-will Resources
Combat Challenge
Dual Strike
Cleave

Encounter Resources
Predatory Eye
Passing Attack
Close the Gap
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Tempest Dance
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kalidrev

First Post
[sblock=dragon] Oh holy hell! I knew it was brown dragon! I knew I never should have told you about those, r1, lol! That's what I get for having evil DM talk with MY DM! ;) [/sblock]

Crag eyes the dragon warily and then looks over at Ingot. They had fought a few dragons together, namely the dragon man at the monastery, and then the two green dragon younglings on their way to get the staff of earth, but this was completely different! This was a full fledged dragon. And it seemed to have a penchant for kobold snacks.

"I tell you now, Wyrm... you shall not have the chance to touch my friend here," he says, motioning to Jax. "The only thing you will taste is my steel and a mouth full of stone, so I hope you're hungry!"

Dekana

Explorer
[sblock=level up?]I'm waiting on approval from one more judge for Jax's level up, but we did take the extended rest already. Should I play this fight as if he's level 1 or 2?[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Kal]
You broke the 1st rule of being a player....never give the DM ideas... :devil: [/sblock]

[sblock=Jax]
Definitely 2...[/sblock]

[sblock=Finch]
No, no cover for such a large creature, you would get cover next to it, but not the dragon. It would be difficult terrain though [/sblock]

Reklaw

First Post
Finch shouts out to the adventurers, "Looks like you're rather unevenly matched! Hope I can be of some assistance!"

His gravelly bass voice is surprisingly cultured, his words sometimes overly enunciated.

Finch moves closer to the dragon, pulling his crossbow from his hip as he loads it. //Move to J20(move action), draw crossbow and load(minor and free action)//

Sighting down the stock of his crossbow he holds it in one oversized hand as he fires it at the hard-to-miss dragon.

The bolt flies awry, striking the rock and ricocheting dangerously near Jax.

[sblock=Attack]Attack - [1,7] = (8)(WOW)
Damage - [7,4] = (11)(And I roll almost full damage, nice)[/sblock]

[sblock=Finch's Stat Block]
Finch, Bugbear Fighter 2
Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11
AC 19, Fort 18, Reflex 16, Will 11 (base defenses)
HP 31/31 Bloodied 15, Surge Value 7, Surges 9/9
Speed 6, Initiative +5
Action Points: 1

Basic Melee Attack +10 vs AC(+14 with opportunity attacks) 1d8+8 damage

Basic Ranged Attack +7 vs AC(+11 with opportunity attacks) 1d8+4 damage

At-will Resources
Combat Challenge
Dual Strike
Cleave

Encounter Resources
Predatory Eye
Passing Attack
Close the Gap
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Tempest Dance
[/sblock]

Dekana

Explorer
Jax ducks from the misfired bolt even though it hurls past at a fairly safe distance away. He shouts back to the newcomer, "What?! The dragon is the belligerent one here! Help us, not him!" Jax seems to have misinterpreted Finch's intent.

The kobold pulls his new black bone dagger from his waistband and then glares at the dragon. "And dragon: I am nobody's meal. Not even for a one so great as you. Eat this instead!" With that, he forcefully throws the blade at his foe.

After the attack, the enchanted dagger flies back to Jax's hand. He sighs in relief; he wasn't sure if it would actually behave that way when thrown, as he was told it would.

[sblock=actions]Minor: draw Goblin Totem Dagger.

Standard: Ranged basic attack hits AC 27. I rolled minimum on all damage dice though. :.-( 12 damage if a 27 hits, which I sincerely hope it does.

Minor: Shifty to X20. I'm not trying to screw up your map, lol. I just don't want Ingot, Dorn, and Jax to be too close together. And a 3x3 square is too close.[/sblock][sblock=Jax stat block]Jax- Male Kobold Rogue 2
Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 17
AC:17, Fort:15, Reflex:18, Will:13 -- Speed:6
HP:33/33, Bloodied:16, Surge Value:8, Surges left:9/9
Initiative +5
Action Points: 1, Second Wind

Conditions

Powers
Shifty
Clever Strike
Piercing Strike
Sly Lunge
Sneak in the Attack
Press the Advantage
[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Finch shouts out to the adventurers, "Looks like you're rather unevenly matched! Hope I can be of some assistance!"

His gravelly bass voice is surprisingly cultured, his words sometimes overly enunciated.

Finch moves closer to the dragon, pulling his crossbow from his hip as he loads it.

Sighting down the stock of his crossbow he holds it in one oversized hand as he fires it at the hard-to-miss dragon.

The bolt flies awry, striking the rock and ricocheting dangerously near Jax.

Jax ducks from the misfired bolt even though it hurls past at a fairly safe distance away. He shouts back to the newcomer, "What?! The dragon is the belligerent one here! Help us, not him!" Jax seems to have misinterpreted Finch's intent.

The kobold pulls his new black bone dagger from his waistband and then glares at the dragon. "And dragon: I am nobody's meal. Not even for a one so great as you. Eat this instead!" With that, he forcefully throws the blade at his foe.

The dagger flips end over end and despite the small size of the weapon, it appears it was constructed in such a way to deal grievous wounds to larger foes.

After the attack, the enchanted dagger flies back to the Jax's hand. He sighs in relief; he wasn't sure if it would actually behave that way when thrown, as he was told it would.

As Jax's dagger sinks in the dragon's tail flies out and a cloud of sand flies out from it towards the kobold, however Jax tumbles out of the way.

The dragon growls in frustration and flies next to Crag, it's maw opens and a blast of hot sand comes out of its mouth. The tiny particles slam hard into Ingot and Dorn, tearing large gashes in their skin. A cloud of the swirling sand remains in the area after the dragon stops breathing.

[sblock=Nature DC15]
More than any other kind of dragon, brown dragons are driven nearly as much by the desire to discover new tastes as by the need to accumulate a hoard. They so love eating that they sometimes take risks in combat merely to “sample” one or more of their foes. Thus, a brown dragon might take a bite instead of making a more tactically advantageous attack for the chance to taste an enemy, especially a creature it has not previously encountered.
Brown dragons prize elf flesh for its succulence and tenderness, and least prefer dwarves, whose tough meat they consider unpalatable unless it is aged

[sblock=Nature DC 20]
A brown dragon’s breath weapon is a blast of supernaturally hot and stinging sand that corrodes flesh and blocks all visibility

[sblock=Nature DC 25]
A brown dragon makes its lair under the sands, in a hollow within a ruin, a cave, or a similar structure. A lair can consist of several such chambers, each one an island of air surrounded by an ocean of smothering sand. A brown dragon doesn’t need tunnels—it can burrow between the rooms of its lair without difficulty.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
*Feel free to post in any order, but actions will be resolved in initiative order below*

Finch - misses
Jax - hits for 12, this triggers immediate reaction from the dragon - vs ref (jax0; dmg (1d20 7=13, 1d6 2=7) miss
Dragon - flies to current spot - unleashes its breath weapon - vs fort; dmg (1d20 8=10, 2d8 3=13, 1d20 8=25, 2d8 3=12, 1d20 8=17, 2d8 3=14, 1d20 8=18, 2d8 3=14, 1d20 8=12, 2d8 3=9) Crag missed, Ingot hit, Dorn hit, Jax missed - damage is 13

The blast creates an area of swirling sand that remains in place until the end of the dragon's next turn. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to the area or that moves through the area takes 5 damage. The area blocks line of sight for all creatures except the dragon

Initiative:
Finch - 21
Jax - 20
Dragon - 14
Dorn - 9 <- you're up 19/32
Ingot - 8 - 24/37
Crag - 5

init (Jax, Ingot, Crag, Dorn, Finch, dragon) (1d20 5=20, 1d20 0=8, 1d20 1=5, 1d20 8=9, 1d20 5=21, 1d20 7=14)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads