• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A simple questions for Power Gamers, Optimizers, and Min-Maxers.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Hi, I’m Sarah McLachlan, will you be an angel for a helpless DM? Every day, innocent DMs are abused, beaten and worked to death, and they’re crying out for help. Please, call the number on your screen, and send a monthly gift right now. For just sixteen dollars a month, (only 60 cents a day,) you’ll help rescue DMs from their players, and provide psychiatric care, pizza, more rule books, and, most importantly of all, appreciation. Call or join online in the next thirty minutes and you’ll receive this welcome kit with the photo of a DM in an Adventurers' League game right now. One has been given a second chance. Thanks to you. Right now There’s a DM who needs you. Your call says ‘I’m here to help. I don't need to make your life miserable with Pun Pun’ Please call right now.”
YOU"RE IN THE ARMMMMMSSSS OF THE ANNNGGGEEELLLSSSS!!!

Boscogn

Villager
I'll be honest, knowing that the DM felt the need to make challenges harder in order to challenge my character is a win in and of itself. That fact alone demonstrates that my build was a good one and I played it well; whether or not we win the overall campaign (or heck, even if my character survives) is really a secondary consideration. It's probably why I tend to get bored with characters after a few sessions.
I had this exact same problem. I'd make the best character and then it would be boring to play. The fun was in the making of the character itself not the playing. To get past this you have to focus on a story for your character and make it fun to play. Why are you so good? What are you bad at? How will you play the character? cocky? Strong and silent? Defender of the weak? Oppressor? What is your goal or reason for adventuring? You have to develop your characters story so you can immerse yourself into that character to really have fun.

I'll give you an example a friend of mine min/maxed a ninja Borg in rifts. My buddy was becoming bored with cutting up everybody so GM thought he'd give him a phobia of the dark after undergoing another Borg surgery to make himself better. It was so much fun even for him to try and watch him do ninja things whilst being afraid of the dark. After a while the thing he was bad at turned out to be the most fun. He decided to scrap that character and make a con man who was a total sucker for women but had an established role in the underground black markets gig and was never without money or illegal upgrades for his friends. He loved it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I had this exact same problem. I'd make the best character and then it would be boring to play. The fun was in the making of the character itself not the playing. To get past this you have to focus on a story for your character and make it fun to play. Why are you so good? What are you bad at? How will you play the character? cocky? Strong and silent? Defender of the weak? Oppressor? What is your goal or reason for adventuring? You have to develop your characters story so you can immerse yourself into that character to really have fun.
While I do appreciate the advice (truly), I don't consider it much of a problem. My characters have backstories, character traits and tendencies to roleplay, and I always try to find some mechanical hook for them as well. I just get bored quickly. Same thing happens to me in CRPGs too.

dave2008

Legend
It's expected of all players that they will come up with one of the many local-maxima within the system described by the rules.

By whom? I don't recall seeing that in the PHB or DMG. If one is optimizing they are inherently meta-gaming. No I personally don't have an issue with that, but to some that is anathema to role-playing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads