D&D 5E A Simple Solution to the Saving Throw and other Math Problems

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
All of the discussion about saving throws has given me an idea. Give all characters a bonus equal to 1/4 their level to their ability bonuses, (i.e. +1 at 4th level, +2 at 8th, etc). This would replace the attack and spellcasting bonuses that are part of classes right now. For example, a level 20 fighter with a 20 strength would have a +10 total modifier for Strength (+5 from the 20 score, and +5 from levels). This would affect everything that's determined by ability scores: ability/skill checks, saving throws, attack rolls, etc.

Benefits:

* It's simple and easy. You would just have your modified ability bonuses and use those modifiers for everything that depends on them, whether they're ability checks, attack rolls or saving throws. You wouldn't have to keep track of any of those things separately. That makes for a much simpler character sheet, and makes the game a lot less confusing for new players.

* Everything would scale evenly, so the game remains balanced throughout all levels of play. Saving throw DCs wouldn't outpace saves. Attack rolls wouldn't outpace AC. Etc.

* Characters would grow in power, but bounded accuracy would be maintained. The bonuses are big enough to be appreciated, but small enough that lower level threats aren't rendered meaningless, and things like the DC tables for ability/skill checks wouldn't need to change with level.

[Edit] It works great with multiclassing, since you don't have to worry about different classes granting different bonuses to things, and how they might stack if you add their levels to each other, which was a big problem with the multiclassing in 3.x.

Possible Drawbacks:

* Characters of different classes, such as fighters, wouldn't have an attack bonus advantage over other classes. 4e didn't consider this to be a problem, but some people might. Fighters would still be distinguished by their superior deadly strike, proficiencies and combat maneuvers, but is that enough? Right now, the difference in attack bonuses between fighters and classes such as rogues is only within 1 or 2 points, anyway.

* Characters get universally better at everything, which was something that many people didn't like about 4e (i.e., why is my 20th level wizard an expert at swimming?). However, the bonus here caps at +5, which is quite a bit less than the +15 bonus characters got by max level in 4e. Ability scores thus don't end up being overshadowed as much by level bonuses, so this may not be as much of an issue.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this idea.

Last edited:

Herzog

Adventurer
While I appreciate the balanced scaling, an even more simple solution would be to add no bonus at all.

The mechanical effect is the same. You just don't get improvements.

Of course, this would also mean you can't have monsters with higher attacks etc.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
While I appreciate the balanced scaling, an even more simple solution would be to add no bonus at all.

The mechanical effect is the same. You just don't get improvements.

Of course, this would also mean you can't have monsters with higher attacks etc.

From a purely mathematically point of view, that's an equally valid approach. However, I suspect that a lot of people want their characters to get better at things as they go up in level.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
It wasn't just the blandness of everything increasing that put people off bonuses to everything, it's that you end up with a 10 Strength, 12th level Wizard who will win a pure swordfight (+3 to hit and AC, many HP) against a 16 Strength, 3rd level Fighter (+3 to hit, but not to AC, few HP).

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
It wasn't just the blandness of everything increasing that put people off bonuses to everything, it's that you end up with a 10 Strength, 12th level Wizard who will win a pure swordfight (+3 to hit and AC, many HP) against a 16 Strength, 3rd level Fighter (+3 to hit, but not to AC, few HP).

A wizard beating someone NINE levels below him? I don't see the problem.

Even in past editions, wizards gained attack bonus/THAC0, and could end up fighting better than fighters of much lower level, weapon/armor proficiencies aside.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
A wizard beating someone NINE levels below him? I don't see the problem.

Even in past editions, wizards gained attack bonus/THAC0, and could end up fighting better than fighters of much lower level, weapon/armor proficiencies aside.

There's some degree to which I don't mind this, others dislike it intensely. A Wizard 9 levels higher should win that fight, but not if it's a straight swordfight. I guess I don't like too much power escalation over levels. It irked me that Wizards got multiple melee attacks in 3E, even if they never used them, for instance.

Paraxis

Explorer
What if it was this way. You picked or your class determined I prefer picking, two primary ability scores, two secondary, and two tertiary. What they are determines how fast they grow.

Primary once at 2nd then again at multiples of 4 so 2,4,8.12,16,20 for a total of +6 at 20th.
Secondary just every 4 so 4,8,12,16,20 for a total of +5.
Tertiary at level 8 and every 4 so 8,12,16.20 for a total of +4.

This way your primary ability is at plus 3 around the normal sweet spot level range, +2 for secondary and only +1 for tertiary.
Starting at level 12 everyone is advancing at same rate, but that and higher are the least played levels and for example the fighter in the sword fight already has a +2 bonus [plus of course the natural strength] over the wizard.

Made it every based on every 4 because I like even numbers and still wanted to keep a semblance of uniformity, but I guess you could do 2 then every 3, every 4, and every 5 and still end up with the last bonus at 20th level across the board.

All of the discussion about saving throws has given me an idea. Give all characters a bonus equal to 1/4 their level to their ability bonuses, (i.e. +1 at 4th level, +2 at 8th, etc). This would replace the attack and spellcasting bonuses that are part of classes right now. For example, a level 20 fighter with a 20 strength would have a +10 total modifier for Strength (+5 from the 20 score, and +5 from levels). This would affect everything that's determined by ability scores: ability/skill checks, saving throws, attack rolls, etc.

Where are the NPC/monster bonuses?

In this system, the Int 18 wizard will still have no trouble hitting a Dex 8 giant with a Dexterity-save spell.

Remove ads