A supposedly great thing that I'll never watch again- Great media that left you cold

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Game of Thrones. When it began, I found it terribly boring with lackluster writing and mediocre acting. I gave up on it after three episodes. Then, as the last season finished, I gave it a second chance. I binged it all. It was still terribly boring with poor writing and mediocre acting. There were some good parts but as a whole, way overrated and waste of time.

pukunui

Legend
I don't generally keep a list of the things I can't get into ... but one thing that springs to mind is The Nightmare Before Christmas. I have a Halloween-obsessed friend who always raves about how great it is. Last holiday season, my daughters and I tried to watch it and could only get through about the first third before we decided it wasn't to our taste.

Game of Thrones. When it began, I found it terribly boring with lackluster writing and mediocre acting. I gave up on it after three episodes. Then, as the last season finished, I gave it a second chance. I binged it all. It was still terribly boring with poor writing and mediocre acting. There were some good parts but as a whole, way overrated and waste of time.
Never having read the books (I still haven't), I really liked the premise of the White Walkers from episode 1, but was disappointed that they didn't really show up again for the rest of that season. "Hard Home" was the high point of the series, as far as I'm concerned.

Out of curiosity: all you folks who say you couldn't get into shows like Game of Thrones or Sherlock or whatever ... what are some examples of shows you do like and that you consider to have good writing / acting / etc? This is all subjective, right, but it could be useful to have some means of comparison.

I don't generally keep a list of the things I can't get into ... but one thing that springs to mind is The Nightmare Before Christmas. I have a Halloween-obsessed friend who always raves about how great it is. Last holiday season, my daughters and I tried to watch it and could only get through about the first third before we decided it wasn't to our taste.

Never having read the books (I still haven't), I really liked the premise of the White Walkers from episode 1, but was disappointed that they didn't really show up again for the rest of that season. "Hard Home" was the high point of the series, as far as I'm concerned.

Out of curiosity: all you folks who say you couldn't get into shows like Game of Thrones or Sherlock or whatever ... what are some examples of shows you do like and that you consider to have good writing / acting / etc? This is all subjective, right, but it could be useful to have some means of comparison.
I feel this regarding Nightmare before Christmas. I feel this way about most anything from Tim Burton. It's like I see what you're doing here, I get why folks like it, but it's not for me.

Zardnaar

Legend
Why did you feel the need to share this in a "I don't like this supposedly great thing" thread?

Because you have to prove subjective opinions online are wrong duh!!!

Here's another one of mine. Superhero movies don't really do it for me. Individually some are good in their own right. Might be a cultural thing (non American).

Retreater

Legend
I didn't like GoT or Sherlock, but I wouldn't say it was so much the writing or acting so much as the themes. I also like more episodic content instead of feeling like I'm watching a movie that lasts for literal days.
Series I do like include Cobra Kai, Stranger Things, and The Mandalorian.

Remove ads