A supposedly great thing that I'll never watch again- Great media that left you cold

Ace

Adventurer
I watched the first few episodes of BBT, and didn't really like it. As others have noticed, it felt it was laughing at geeks, rather than with geeks.
Few years later, most of the people I was hanging around with loved it and I started watching it again and I found it better. Not sure if it was because they tuned their sensibilities, or the story was more focused on the relationships leaving less time to the "geeks are weird" stuff, or something else. I enjoyed 3-4 seasons, then I've kind of lost interest into it.

Unrelated, I want to like Tales from the Loop, but I can't. Not sure I understand why, it feels like something I would enjoy, but I just can't sit through more than 10 minutes of it.

Laughing At vs Laughing With is exactly the issue. IMO BBT Is laughing at nerds not with them and to me its rife with offensive stereotypes .

A lot of people disagree but I'm not a purist so like what you like.

Also there was a Tales from The Loop show? Huh. I'm more than a little out of touch with pop culture I guess.

Since we're all griping...

Star Wars, the movies and series : Never had much interest in them, even as a child. The original production/art design was amazing for its time and holds up very well today. The cast in the original movies are charming curmudgeons doing their best with some sparse writing. The casts of the later movies are fun and plucky but hard to watch because the writing and direction is embarrassing. Just trash. I know expressing this opinion in the ttrpg community is like slapping someone's lovely mother, but it's a boring, plodding, played out IP.

Friends have told me many of the books are great but I have zero interest in visiting the setting.

Avatar: Awful. James Cameron seems like a smart man so I sometimes wonder if this movie is an intentional middle finger. It's pretty and technically impressive but so stupid, in a way that's not even fun to heckle.

The Expanse is one of the few examples the Series is better than the novels. (At least the first 3 seasons). It really helped having the novel writers along for the rid eon the series. It often feels like things they wish they did in the novels they now get to do on the series.
Yeah. The Amazon seasons have been pretty spotty. Coming off the first three, the Amazon ones don't feel like they get enough time to breathe before they conclude. Kind of felt this way about The Boys too.

It feels like the writers have enough story for 13 episodes but only get to tell it in 8.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Yeah. The Amazon seasons have been pretty spotty. Coming off the first three, the Amazon ones don't feel like they get enough time to breathe before they conclude. Kind of felt this way about The Boys too.

It feels like the writers have enough story for 13 episodes but only get to tell it in 8.
I think there too scared to ask for more episodes a session.

DollarD

Long-time Lurker
Is Parks and Rec really good? I keep hearing good things about it, but I watched the first episode and couldn't stand the main character.

Well, I had that problem too - and it turns out, the first season they were trying to copy The Office, which I also couldn't get into, since I couldn't stand the main character. And apparently its quite popular generally.

Starting Parks and Rec at Season 2 certainly made it a lot more watchable, as they've basically retooled the main character from goofy and useless, to earnest and effective - though I believe consensus is that it starts to get really good end of Season 2, when a few more main characters join. Almost every character is vastly different from Parks and Rec Season 1.

I'm not sure if The Office similiarly is better if you start from a later season. Maybe it is, but I've just given up on ever watching it.

Azuresun

Adventurer
As a general rule, I don't like media that feature criminal/murderous protagonists - so that strikes out Tarantino, gangster movies, Game of Thrones, etc.

I'm the same way with anything that has villain protagonists. It always feels like the writer gets just a bit too carried away with making excuses for horrible people doing horrible things, and the fans are way too quick to forgive evil people just so long as they're charismatic and / or pretty.

I don't know if anyone even remembers it now, but House of Leaves. It was billed as the most terrifying and disturbing thing you could possibly read....and to me, it was 5% effective psychological horror and 5% mild creepiness vs hundreds of pages of the writer tediously waffling on about how clever and postmodern he was and using "clever" word layouts that meant a lot of the pages were half empty space.

The Millenium series. I read the first one, quite liked it. Then in the second, it started to look like Larsson didn't have any new ideas, and the way the victims-to-be were jumping around waving their death flags reminded me of that bit in Hot Shots! and I couldn't take it seriously after that point. Plus, I did read where in Larsson's past it came from, but the author's issues with all men being misogynist jerks at best (except the protagonist) was getting pretty grinding.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

That is strange because I feel the opposite. Season 4 felt like 4 episodes content stretched out to 10. Season 5 was slightly better in that it was 6 episodes content stretched to 10.
I think there too scared to ask for more episodes a session.
Actually, Amazon wanted the showrunners to drop Expanse down to 8 episodes per season. The showrunners said they could do 10 in the same budget, and Amazon agreed.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter

Do you remember when Netflix Original Series only had enough story for eight episodes, but they all ran for thirteen anyway?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Having experienced both, I'm not sure I can say which is worse.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Avatar - King of overhyped films. Nice graphics & music, but that's it. Don't need no sequels.

Pulp Fiction - Never got to me. Just "okay, it exists"

The Walking Dead - was interesting at first, but then turned "k, but does it develop somewhere?" very quickly

Better Call Saul - it can be fun, but there is so much unnecessary drama. Liked Breaking Bad though except for the last season. Should have ended on that unstable equilibrium with that perfect shot on the lily of the valley.

On the other hand I loved the new BSG because the characters were so complex and human. I usually hate Grimdark, but this one was brilliant (okay minus Apollo. He's boring).

Remove ads