D&D 3E/3.5 A Turning Point: I Sold My 3e Books

pawsplay

Hero
I finally did it. I sold my 3e books. Pathfinder has so far aged pretty well. With the APG and GMG in hand I have most of the additional rules material I need, with Ultimage Magic and Ultimate Combat on the horizon. The Adventurers Handbook and my stuff in Fistful of Denarii cover almost all of the class concepts worth converting. With the Bestiary 2 in hand, I don't really have a need for MM I-IV, and the Fiend Folio, and Pathfinder has more and better templates than Savage Species.

Goodbye, Hennet. And good luck to you, with the whole belt thing.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Despite the fact that I too won't play 3x anymore, I don't really understand the concept of selling your old games. I have all my 1st Edition, 2nd Edition and 3x books and have no plans to ever sell them, nor play them. Perhaps its a nostalgic thing, as I'm no collector. And I get that we have limited pools of money so why have it stuck in books you won't play anymore - makes sense, but I will never get rid of my old books, nor think it reasonable for anyone else to either.

YMMV.

GP

Crothian

First Post
While I've scaled down on my 3e books there are just some that are just really well made that I'll never get rid of.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
I got a decent chunk of cash for selling my 3e books, as well as a lot of shelf space. I'm never, ever going to run a 3e game, and if I play in one in the future, we'll probably have enough people with various books to make it work.

I've kept the barebones books for several old editions, but didn't keep splat books. In general, I keep settings and adventures for any edition. For older editions I'm eager to run (e.g. RCD&D) I keep everything.

Basically, I just get rid of things if I don't think I'm ever going to use them again. There's no reason for them to take up space in my house, and probably better if they go in a direction they might be used by someone else.

Dingo333

First Post
I still have mine (packed up in a box still after moving) and I doubt I will get rid of them

Obviously I haven't played them since moving, but I keep them for some of it is still relevant like stormwrack for an adventure at sea game I am getting together to run. Pazio hasn't and probally wont ever (good and bad there) make a book about sea creatures, combat, mechanics and fluff

Good side: prevents bloat, unneeded rules and wallet drains

Bad side: excludes those kind of games via lack of rules for it (stormwrack fills that little hole)

IronWolf

blank
I am a pack rat, so I have a hard time selling my old books. I haven't had to reference any of my old 3.x stuff for quite some time though.

pawsplay

Hero
Despite the fact that I too won't play 3x anymore, I don't really understand the concept of selling your old games.

I don't do it just to do it. I can point out the specific reasons. I don't need a bunch of monster manuals when the Pf Bestiary 1 + 2 have hundreds of monsters, including oldies but goodies from the Tome of Horrors which I prefer, and I didn't like MM III and on as much anyway. The PHB II is largely irrelevant, since Pathfinder revamped the core classes, and the APG covers most of the extra detail. I loved the Fiendish Codices.... but I was never emotionally attached to the AD&D style cosmology, and if I am going to use a prepackaged cosmology, it's probably going to be Golarion-flavored. Etc.

But the real impetus is that I was simply running out of shelf space. When I say I got rid of my 3e books, I mean nearly two dozen books.

I am a collector at heart, but honestly, I preferred the origional 3e art to the 3.5 stuff. And I would get more utility out of the 3e core books, as far as the content goes.

pawsplay

Hero
I am a pack rat, so I have a hard time selling my old books. I haven't had to reference any of my old 3.x stuff for quite some time though.

I kept mine literally as long as I could imagine the slightest the use. But I've converted pretty much everything worth converting, that hasn't been superceded. As far as general reading matter goes, the Fiendish Codex 1 + 2 were where it's at, but I've read them cover to cover a couple of times, and it's doubtful I would use those cosmologies as written, nor does the closed content help me professionally.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Understandable, but I'm keeping the ones I still have. Most of it is very specific splat or 3rd party books, though (Sandstorm, Frostburn, Iron Kingdom's Character Guide and Liber Mechanica, Bof9S). Eberron I sold off despite my love for the setting (mostly warforge stuff), but I sold it to a freind who also has fallen in love with the setting (after some convincing - he was more of a Forgotten Realms guy).

Remove ads