D&D General A Unified Spellcasting Mechanic for 5E?

How do you feel about a unified spellcasting mechanic?

• Bad idea. Spellcasters need this distinction, otherwise they're too similar.

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Bad idea, for different reason(s).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Meh, too much work. Those mechanics are hardwired in the game; best to leave it alone.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Good idea. Hopefully someone is working on it right now, I'd like to see it.

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • You know, I already have something like that in my home game.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • First of all, how dare you.

Votes: 3 5.3%

Vael

Legend
Between the standardized spell progression for non-Warlocks and that all spells function the same ... I think 5e already does have unified spellcasting mechanics. The differences between how Bards and Sorcerers know spells vs. Wizards and their spellbook, and Clerics and Druids having full access to their spell lists is not to me a meaningful enough distinction. And it's important enough to class identity to keep it.

Now, outside of the Core classes, should other classes have to hold to the same mechanics? No, I think Artificers are hamstrung by this system, as a Half-caster progression feels way too slow, but I don't think they should be Full-casters either. They probably need an Infusion casting system that is unique. Psionics, to me, has appeal because it isn't just spell slots by another name, so I think Psions shouldn't follow the standardized spell mechanics and just ignore components.

Remove ads