D&D 5E A use for True Strike

Bolares

Hero
For me it's that it would be too powerful if you could cast it as a bonus action, too open to abuse if the duration was longer but too weak as written.
Yeah, bonus action would make it bad for completelly different reasons. True Strike is tricky to balance in 5e....

Oofta

Legend
Yeah, bonus action would make it bad for completelly different reasons. True Strike is tricky to balance in 5e....
Maybe a bonus action 1st level spell, but then you'd get other abuses. One of those spells, much like Spare the Dying that I simply don't see anyone taking. Although with Spare the Dying I could at least see a house rule to give it a range to make it useful now and then.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Maybe we're going about it the wrong way. Instead of trying to fix it as a cantrip, maybe rename it to "Focused Strike" or whatever and make it a normal combat action that is available to everyone, like Dodge or Disengage:

Focused Strike
In combat, you may use your Action to focus on a single target within range that you can see. If you do, your next attack roll against that target is made with Advantage.

Again, not perfect. But I think it's better than making it a cantrip that nobody will ever choose.

Bolares

Hero
Maybe we're going about it the wrong way. Instead of trying to fix it as a cantrip, maybe rename it to "Focused Strike" or whatever and make it a normal combat action that is available to everyone, like Dodge or Disengage:

Focused Strike
In combat, you may use your Action to focus on a single target within range that you can see. If you do, your next attack roll against that target is made with Advantage.

Again, not perfect. But I think it's better than making it a cantrip that nobody will ever choose.
Yes! Let's transform a crummy option for casters in a crummy option for everyone! :p At least like this I don't loose a cantrip choice.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Yes! Let's transform a crummy option for casters in a crummy option for everyone! :p At least like this I don't loose a cantrip choice.
I wouldn't say "crummy." I mean, it's a crummy option as a cantrip, but I think as an action option in combat it's...well, mediocre. It's the anti-Dodge.

Remove ads