• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Wrought Iron Fence Made of Tigers

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Personally, the greatest disservice WotC gave its customer base was going back and remove the fluff around the rules.

I think you summed up my thoughts as well.

To me, 4E is the first edition of D+D that feels like they established the mechanics first and built a setting around it.

All the previous editions (IMO) felt like they took the fantasy mileu first and built rules around it.

malraux

First Post
I think you summed up my thoughts as well.

To me, 4E is the first edition of D+D that feels like they established the mechanics first and built a setting around it.

All the previous editions (IMO) felt like they took the fantasy mileu first and built rules around it.

I dunno, the impression I get from Worlds and Monsters was that they built both, roughly simultaneously. Then sometime between R&C and W&M and the PHB, they pulled out all the detailed setting info.

Toras

First Post
I will certainly agree with KM about flavor and mechanics needing to function as a single unit. I think the problem is not so much that you can replace the flavor with what you want. I could have done that to anything.

My problem is that the 4e flavor doesn't do anything for me. Its like you got caught have way between D&D and Generic. Which is like adding salt to my soda. Going one way or the other would have preferable.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I dunno, the impression I get from Worlds and Monsters was that they built both, roughly simultaneously. Then sometime between R&C and W&M and the PHB, they pulled out all the detailed setting info.
Which while very fun to read, I am glad they did. I would personally prefer them to release specifically "fluff" books, or Dragon articles (like they have been doing).

I'll give you warlocks, but dragonborn and ESPECIALLY Tieflings were both radically different. Tieflings share close to zero similarities, save their name.
Close to zero? The fundamental concept of a "fiendish" race are in both. The rest is just one particular variation. If I'd wanted, I could use the 4E flavor text on 3E Tieflings and vice versa.

Standard D&D never assumed cannibalistic Halflings. Dark Sun does. I'd like to say that Dark Sun probably changes the image of Halflings far more then 4E changes the image of Tiefling.

Remove ads