D&D 3E/3.5 [Aaaarrrrgh 3.5] Scry - can you seen the sensor?

Olive

Explorer
Now, I quite like the new save based scry rules. I reckon they could do with a feat, Improved Scrying (lowers the save DC by 2) but that's another thread.

However, while most of the changes to 3.5 have clarified the rules, occasionally they haven't. There is now no mention in the scry description of being able to see the sensor, but it also doesn't make any mention of it being invisable as Clairaudience/Clairvoyance does.

any help? Am I missing something?

Christian

Explorer
I don't have the 3.5 PH yet, but in the 3.5 SRD this information is in the section on Divination spells in general. It states that a creature with an Int of 12 or higher (why 12? I dunno!) can notice the sensor by making a DC20 Intelligence check.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Christian said:
I don't have the 3.5 PH yet, but in the 3.5 SRD this information is in the section on Divination spells in general. It states that a creature with an Int of 12 or higher (why 12? I dunno!) can notice the sensor by making a DC20 Intelligence check.

only an above average person would know what to look for but then there is the issue that perception is based on Wisdom....

lets not go there.

DC

Someone

Adventurer
Notice also this:

Lead sheeting or magical protection blocks a scrying spell, and you sense that the spell is so blocked.

Cheap, nonmagical means to protect your own house from pesky diviners and curious people with a crystal ball!

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Someone said:
Cheap, nonmagical means to protect your own house from pesky diviners and curious people with a crystal ball!
Of course, this makes scrying much, much weaker than 3.0, and weaker, IMO, than it should be. You should have to invest some personal power in avoiding scrying, not just have some lead installed in your house. :p

Vysirez

First Post
Unfortunately it seems they have confused scrying wizards with superman. Mabye they just figured that if superman can't see through lead then some punny wizards shouldn't be able to either.

Olive

Explorer
Vysirez said:
Unfortunately it seems they have confused scrying wizards with superman. Mabye they just figured that if superman can't see through lead then some punny wizards shouldn't be able to either.

Lead blocking scrying and other such effects is pretty old. Detect magic, for example, can be blocked by a thin sheet of lead, and it's been this way for a very long time.

Thanks for pointing out the divination section to me Christian!

Spatula

Explorer
Olive said:
Lead blocking scrying and other such effects is pretty old. Detect magic, for example, can be blocked by a thin sheet of lead, and it's been this way for a very long time.
Lead or thick wood/stone blocked some divination spells in 3.0, but not Scry.

Remove ads