D&D 5E aasimar all humans?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Generally that's how people play it.

For my setting I made Aasimar into what Ravenloft considers a "Lineage" that fits over the top of racial traits without replacing cultural ones. So you can make a Heiligschein Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Human, or Otherwise.

The only three you can't make are Gravetouched Heiligschein, Pactborn Heiligschein, or Gearhart Heiligschein.

Dausuul

Legend
are all aasimar humans at " base?"

i was interested in creating a drow based aasimar in appearance but im not looking to add thr racial bonuses or anything
They are mentioned as being descended from humans, but it isn't emphasized; there's no setting lore I am aware of that says you couldn't have an aasimar-equivalent descended from a nonhuman race.

It's up to your DM, but if I were DMing, I'd allow it. Well, if I allowed drow in the first place. Or aasimar.

I'm strongly of the opinion that Aasimar (or any Planetouched) can come from any humanoid background. If one wants an Aasimar that's from an Orcish background (for example), then they very well can be such. Some Aasimar varieties are more likely to fall in with certain types of non-Humans more than others. I think Celestial Eladrin are more likely going to mix with Elves, or a Leonal Guardinal is probably more likely going to mix with Leonids.

Shameless plug to my own thread about Planetouched as lineages where I try to take on the subject of Tieflings, Aasimar and more.

Yaarel

He Mage

i was interested in creating a drow based aasimar in appearance but im not looking to add thr racial bonuses or anything
Using an Aasimar for a Celestial Eladrin, rather than a Fey one, might work well. Some of these Eladrin can be non-Lolth Drow, too.

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
I'm strongly of the opinion that Aasimar (or any Planetouched) can come from any humanoid background. If one wants an Aasimar that's from an Orcish background (for example), then they very well can be such. Some Aasimar varieties are more likely to fall in with certain types of non-Humans more than others. I think Celestial Eladrin are more likely going to mix with Elves, or a Leonal Guardinal is probably more likely going to mix with Leonids.

now to gild the lily, would any drow traits be eligible to be used?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I learned this by watching the documentary Star Trek.
Dax's revolving bedroom door is a thing of beauty and anyone who disagrees is just wrong.

Also... No, Michael. I wouldn't allow drow traits to be used. At least not unless you revamp Aasimar into a Subrace Template or Race Template that you apply other race's subraces to.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer

They are all Human. Outside of that, you'd have to make up your own racial stats. Dragon Magazine #350 for 3.5e officially had the Celadrin (Elves with Eladrin ancestry; when Eladrins were, PROPERLY, a mighty powerful Chaotic Good celestial race and not merely Extra Faerie Elves) so they were basically Aasimar Elves.

Remove ads