• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability Score Capping... with added Sanity.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I like it. But for even more brilliance just get rid of racial bonuses altogether and instead rule that starting elves must have Dex higher than Con. Keeps everyone below 20 yet reinforces the stereotype.

Elf Dex > Con
Halfling Dex > Str
Dwarf Con > Dex
Half-elf Cha > Con
Gnome Con > Str

I'm not a fan of this idea. It means I can't be a slow or clumsy elf without being sickly. I prefer a simple bonus/penalty combination that makes it unlikely to be a clumsy but healthy elf, but not impossible.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Unless the game goes some really strange place into the Narrative space, frequency of items will always be in the hands of the GM. The designers can suggest they be rare, but that's about it.
Frequency of items is in the DM's hands to be sure, but many DMs will take their cues from the published adventures as to what makes sense to give out.

Another way to quasi-enforce rarity, if there must be stat-boost items, is to price them somewhere in the lower stratosphere. And have them only ever give +1. (look at 1e's Pearl of Wisdom for a good example, though it's still cheaper in the DMG than I'd like it)

The classic strength-boost items (Girdle, Gauntlets, etc.) get a pass, however, as Strength to me has always worked a bit differently both in various classic fictions and in the game. But these items should put one's Strength at a set value (e.g. Gauntlets of Ogre Power give you Str. 21 no matter what your Str. score was before) rather than just add a modifier like the 3e ones did.

Lan-"I'm stronger than me"-efan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm not a fan of this idea. It means I can't be a slow or clumsy elf without being sickly. I prefer a simple bonus/penalty combination that makes it unlikely to be a clumsy but healthy elf, but not impossible.
Easy modification here: Dex > Con only applies if both scores are higher than 11.*

* - or pick a suitable number, this one's just an example.

Lanefan

Zustiur

Explorer
If I recall correctly, 1e had racial attribute caps.

Yes, but it also didn't have stat boosting as a regular occurrence. This leads directly into my question:

Why do we have stat altering in the first place? I'm not talking about your 'manual of bodily health' or your 'gantlets of ogre power', but about permanent increase in stats from something as guaranteed as leveling up. Why does this exist? What benefit does it actually serve?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Frequency of items is in the DM's hands to be sure, but many DMs will take their cues from the published adventures as to what makes sense to give out.

What "many DMs" do is not relevant. What *your* DM does is relevant. What the other players at your table want to see is relevant. If you talk it over before play, and you're all on the same page, you're good.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Easy modification here: Dex > Con only applies if both scores are higher than 11.*

* - or pick a suitable number, this one's just an example.

Lanefan

Still doesn't work for me. I'd rather encourage a stereotype but allow the choice than enforce the stereotype by removing the choice.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yes, but it also didn't have stat boosting as a regular occurrence. This leads directly into my question:

Why do we have stat altering in the first place? I'm not talking about your 'manual of bodily health' or your 'gantlets of ogre power', but about permanent increase in stats from something as guaranteed as leveling up. Why does this exist? What benefit does it actually serve?
Good questions.

We took the 1e Cavalier model (percentile stat increments) and applied it to all classes, and it's worked fine in our games - but note we tend to only go about 1-10 or 1-12 in level range, so over that span one or two stats might gain a point this way; not a big deal.

Am I remembering correctly that in 4e all your stats go up when you hit a new tier (i.e. at 11th and 21st) along with some other small boosts in between?

Lanefan

john112364

First Post

I think the reasoning was that you should get better at the abilities you use most i.e. str for fighters, int for wizards, wis for clerics etc. and I agree with this to a point. One of the frustrating things for me in 1e and 2e was that your stats never got any better no matter how much you exercised, read, prayed or whatever. Unless you found one of those rare magic items (or a wish, etc), your abilities never increased. I loved it when they changed this with 3e, but I think they went too far. I like the percentage increase of stats every level. I think hack master does something similar.

Here's my idea:
I think every level you should get a percentage reward that you can divide into any number, or just one, of your stats. When you reach 00 you gain a full point increase, your percentage resets to zero and you make the adjustments. The percentages would have no bearing on your stats otherwise, they would just be a tracking mechanism. This way if you want to focus on one stat you may. (I imagine a lot of players would.) But if you want to try to raise more than one, go for it. This would also put the raising firmly in the DMs hands by allowing them to decide how much to give out. You can give the recommended number or more or less as you see fit.

It's not nessesarily a new or novel idea but it helps to see it spelled out.

Thoughts?

Empath Negative

First Post
I think the reasoning was that you should get better at the abilities you use most i.e. str for fighters, int for wizards, wis for clerics etc. and I agree with this to a point. One of the frustrating things for me in 1e and 2e was that your stats never got any better no matter how much you exercised, read, prayed or whatever. Unless you found one of those rare magic items (or a wish, etc), your abilities never increased. I loved it when they changed this with 3e, but I think they went too far. I like the percentage increase of stats every level. I think hack master does something similar.

Here's my idea:
I think every level you should get a percentage reward that you can divide into any number, or just one, of your stats. When you reach 00 you gain a full point increase, your percentage resets to zero and you make the adjustments. The percentages would have no bearing on your stats otherwise, they would just be a tracking mechanism. This way if you want to focus on one stat you may. (I imagine a lot of players would.) But if you want to try to raise more than one, go for it. This would also put the raising firmly in the DMs hands by allowing them to decide how much to give out. You can give the recommended number or more or less as you see fit.

It's not nessesarily a new or novel idea but it helps to see it spelled out.

Thoughts?

I think you just killed my thread with this dufflebag idea.

*I* stole the idea from MajorMUD.

Half-Orcs

Half-Orcs are almost exclusively the result of an Orc raid on a Human village. They are not terrible-looking, having only the squinty eyes, pronounced canines and coarse hair of an orc, but the innate Orcish poor temper is passed on to these offspring. They are much better behaved than Orcs, and do not have the homicidal hatred for the other races that Orcs do (unless they have been raised by Orcs, and then you will see them only as your foes). They are somewhat dull-witted, and are not terribly patient but they are tough as nails and are relentless in battle. Having a trustworthy Half-Orc companion is like having your own personal army. They excel in all things martial, especially in the Witchunter class, where their instinctive fear of magic can be used to advantage. Half-Orcs are almost universally mistrusted, which is quite unfortunate since they are not horrible by nature, and so must continually prove their worth. Many Half-Orcs seek mercenary service, where no questions are asked and where their strength is in demand.

Statistics:

Strength 45-110
Agility 40-100
Health 50-120
Intellect 30-90
Willpower 30-95
Charm 30-80

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads