D&D 5E Ability score generation if you REALLY like rolling dice....

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I like it. I'll test it.

I like that we can adjust the power level by increasing or decreasing the number of d20s we roll.

I'm no mathematician but it seems to me that rolling a single d20 would be equivalent to rolling 3d6 for scores.
Rolling 6 d20s for stats (or 7 d20s keep highest 6) is a pretty fun way to generate stats if you don't mind incredible amounts of variance.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
If that part wasn't obvious to you, you might as well click to Ignore my posts, because that is implying your scores could go up to 2 and then you would stop there.
The system could theoretically also involve dropping individual dice which roll under the target, and continuing to roll those that pass. 🤷‍♂️ The OP just missed a sentence. I get what you mean.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The system could theoretically also involve dropping individual dice which roll under the target, and continuing to roll those that pass.
It could, but it doesn't. Removing dice that failed to pass would not be a typical assumption, while succeeding on the roll and rolling again to try to improve your score again would be--since otherwise, your score would be most likely all 2's.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I don't think either can be assumed, but maybe I just wasn't awake enough. It seemed like an editorial oversight- that half the sentence was missing. And I don't want to guess when I'm trying to understand someone's cool creative idea.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I don't think either can be assumed, but maybe I just wasn't awake enough. It seemed like an editorial oversight, that half the sentence was missing, and I don't want to guess when I'm trying to understand someone's cool creative idea.
Fair enough. I'll update the OP to reflect the process is continuous until all dice have failed.

Remove ads