• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability Score Generation

What method of ability score generation do you use?

• 3d6

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • 4d6 - discard low roll

Votes: 251 46.7%
  • 5d6- discard 2 low rolls

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • point buy

Votes: 195 36.2%
  • other - please explain

Votes: 71 13.2%

Li Shenron

Legend
dontpunkme said:
What method do you use for ability score generation?

You should allow for multiple choices for this poll! I see you are quite new to the boards, so maybe you didn't know that it is possible...

I have used both point-buy method (normally 30 points, costs per DMG) and rolls (standard way, 4d6 discard lowest). Once I simply gave a fixed array to every PC (IIRC 18, 15, 13, 11, 10, 9).

In general, if I want to make a power-up campaign I prefer giving other kinds of benefits rather than increasing the average scores.

Whisper72

Explorer
Other: a choice of:
- 4d6 discard lowest, but roll 7 times, and discard one throw altogether.
- the arrangement similar to the old UA where you roll 9d6 for your primary stat, 8d6 for the next down to 3d6 for your least important stat.

Yeah, it is a way to get higher scores, but I like the heros to be truly heroic and more powerful / wise / intelligent then the average peasant...

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Use a strong standard array of stats - 17, 15, 13, 11, 10, 9 - add 6 points on top. This lot of players like high stats, so I figured it'd make for powerful characters but on an even playing field.

Next campaign: Assign stats that fit with the character concept. I'll collect them all and 'equalise' afterwards - either adding a few points or do it in game.

Game I'm playing in is 4D6 drop the lowest.

Li Shenron

Legend
Whisper72 said:
Yeah, it is a way to get higher scores, but I like the heros to be truly heroic and more powerful / wise / intelligent then the average peasant...

The point is that they already are! :)
If the method generates 2-3 very high scores and the rest average or less, then it's ok even if those high are really high. If the method generates 6 high scores, then they tend to become boring characters.
Also, the more you get used to very high scores, the less you feel "special" about having them high...

edit: I mean... see the other thread about having Int 74! :D

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Currently using Conan RPG's d10+8 per stat, arrange as desired; or 35-point buy, whichever gives better result - player rolls the d10s first and if they don't like the results they use point buy instead. This results in a bit over 50% of PCs being point-buy IME.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
We use a point buy system, but it's one I cobbled together. Unlike the official point-buy system, mine is linear, because I don't mind players having an 18 without having to go ridiculously low in other attributes. Also, I slightly weight the stats, charging more for Str, Dex, and Int and less for Cha, with Wis and Con in the middle.

Basically, it's 156 points. Str, Dex, and Int cost 2.25 * STAT, Con and Wis are at 2, and Cha is at 1.75. The weighting doesn't make a lot of difference, but it's had some success encouraging my players not to ignore Charisma.

It generally provides a +8 total modifier from stats, though depending on spending that can go up or down to +9 or +7. It's very slightly better, on average, than 4d6-drop-low.

Thanee

First Post
Last time we used 4d6 drop lowest (arrange as desired).
In the game I ran, I used 4d6 drop lowest in order (but one pair of stats can be swapped in position after the six are rolled).

In both cases, reroll, if too crappy.

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads